Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you donate.....

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 37 Replies

blood?

i used to, pretty much as often as i could, but i haven't in awhile.  the last two times i tried to donate my iron was too low & i've been so busy lately it's hard for me to make the time to go to the redcross to do it.  i want to start donating again though.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I can't because of my anemia
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

no

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

i have done it twice, both times i have felt so sick afterward even after drinking oj and having pretzels, it takes a big toll on my body. my friend and her dh donate every 56 days or however long

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

i've always had low iron, as do many woman on my mon's side, but not low enough to be considered anemic.  it's definitely not fun

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I can't because of my anemia

ballerina.2006
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Nope. I donated once in highschool and ended up in the back of an ambulance and in the E.R. I haven't attempted since (this was about 8 years ago).

Dh donates when he can. We no longer have a blood bank in our area so he has to wait for the truck to make its rounds to our area.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

oh wow!  that would definitely turn me away from donating again!

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Nope. I donated once in highschool and ended up in the back of an ambulance and in the E.R. I haven't attempted since (this was about 8 years ago).

Dh donates when he can. We no longer have a blood bank in our area so he has to wait for the truck to make its rounds to our area.

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I used to, but haven't in a very long time. They usually either don't like my meds, or where we've been traveling.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Never blood.  I donate platelets....which is not for the easily faint.  It takes 2 to 3 hours and uses a seriously large bore needle.

I'm a super producer.  Lol.  Which means my counts are on the higher side of normal.  So when they suck me dry they can usually get 2 good size bags. 

Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I haven't in a while. I was really consistent about it after my son needed his transfusions, but I've just been busy and kind of forgotten lately. Thanks for the reminder!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I did for many years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN