Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Heating things in microwaves

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 134 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've mentioned it here a gazillion times...I am not a great cook. I'm not a horrible cook, I just don't cook, really. Blame it on a kitchen smaller than most closets, blame it on having no time, blame it on whatever you want. I don't really have an excuse but that isn't what this one is about, folks.

Instead of cooking, I do a lot of microwaving, which I don't think falls into the "cooking" realm. Now, 99% of what I stick in that microwave is organic and non-processed and all that...but, the more I read about certain things, the more I am very careful about what I microwave and more importantly, what I microwave the food in.

I've been avoiding nuking anything in plastic or with plastic wrap on top due to the "plastic leeching" issues I've read about. With all of the latest on the whole banning BPA and other plastics from containers, I'm just a little hesitant on plastic these days. Now, the jury is still out, there are varying studies and all that, but I figure glass is a safe way to go until more research is done.

How do you heat things in microwaves? Are you careful with certain containers? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/alxpin

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM
25 moms liked this

I don't pay too much attention to all of that, though maybe I should... I do microwave our Tupperware-type containers all the time.

I just get exhausted trying to keep track of what's supposed to be bad for you, what's the next best way to keep your family safe, etc. I do the best I can with what I have.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We microwave several but are careful of th containers :)

dusky_rose
by Sue on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to microwave on microwave safe dishes.

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Yes I heat things in my microwave and I am careful of which containters I use to heat up stuff things as well.

Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I heat some things in the microwave like veggies, popcorn Scalloped potatoes my morning Chai.

I do have some microwavable containers but mostly just whatever I have on hand.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I know this is right!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I don't pay too much attention to all of that, though maybe I should... I do microwave our Tupperware-type containers all the time.

I just get exhausted trying to keep track of what's supposed to be bad for you, what's the next best way to keep your family safe, etc. I do the best I can with what I have.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I just saw a picture of a science project some kid did, where she planted 2 plants, watered both of them with distilled water, but microwaved the water for one. The one with the microwaved water died, and the other didn't. Makes you think, but I'll still heat stuff in mine.

wandep
Hope everyone has a great week!!! It's almost Christmas time!!!
Today at 9:39 AM
by Pam on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't use our microwave too much. If I do heat things up in it I use my good dishes.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Wow, that's wild. I had not heard that one.

Quoting elasmimi:

I just saw a picture of a science project some kid did, where she planted 2 plants, watered both of them with distilled water, but microwaved the water for one. The one with the microwaved water died, and the other didn't. Makes you think, but I'll still heat stuff in mine.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I usually heat things on our porcelin dishes or bowls.  Otherwise I use our glassware.  Occasionally I will use our plastic containers.  But I am not concerned...

There is BPA in so many things that trying to avoid it in everything is overwhelming.  I did go with BPA free bottles with my kids -- this was back in 2007 when the whole BPA thing was JUST started to emerge (so everyone thought I was crazy at the time). 

But, after going nuts trying to remove all BPA from our lives, it turns out that there is BPA in the lining of canned foods.  We use a lot of canned vegetables and such.  So, all that effort and yet another issue. 

I gave up getting obsessed over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN