Smarter Health: Heating things in microwaves

Posted by   + Show Post

I've mentioned it here a gazillion times...I am not a great cook. I'm not a horrible cook, I just don't cook, really. Blame it on a kitchen smaller than most closets, blame it on having no time, blame it on whatever you want. I don't really have an excuse but that isn't what this one is about, folks.

Instead of cooking, I do a lot of microwaving, which I don't think falls into the "cooking" realm. Now, 99% of what I stick in that microwave is organic and non-processed and all that...but, the more I read about certain things, the more I am very careful about what I microwave and more importantly, what I microwave the food in.

I've been avoiding nuking anything in plastic or with plastic wrap on top due to the "plastic leeching" issues I've read about. With all of the latest on the whole banning BPA and other plastics from containers, I'm just a little hesitant on plastic these days. Now, the jury is still out, there are varying studies and all that, but I figure glass is a safe way to go until more research is done.

How do you heat things in microwaves? Are you careful with certain containers? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/alxpin

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (131-134):
delanna6two
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

We just got a new microwave and I love it....I heat on paper plates and in plastic mostly.  I have used glass plates and pyrex/corning ware also.

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I too have stopped with the plastic and film. I read about this over a year ago and paid heed. It's not so much cooking in it but reheating leftovers etc.

StephanieR91
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I don't really like to microwave things

Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

yes and yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: