Smarter Mom: Rewards charts…what do we think?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 137 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, Kiddo has physical therapy. Nothing major, just a little work to develop her core a bit more. We love our therapist - she's fabulous, perky, young, makes doing those exercises seem like playing and fun games. The kicker is, we need to continue those exercises at home...and somehow, I just can't get her to do them like our magical therapist can.

I'm thinking of kicking back to what we used for potty training: the reward chart. Have a set menu of exercise options she can choose from and each time she does 5 of them, she gets a check mark or a sticker. Six checks or stickers get her a reward, a toy...a SMALL toy.

Sometimes I'm a little torn with the idea of reward charts. That it is the nice-looking cousin of the bribe. Granted, these exercises are something beyond what she "normally" would have to do as an almost-six-year-old...and we don't use the chart for usual things like helping clean up or homework, but...I wonder how it affects her inner motivational skills.

But on the flip side, maybe I am totally overthinking this and the main thing I should be focused on is getting her to do these exercises...no matter what.

Have you ever used reward charts? Am I just overthinking this?

©iStockphoto.com/TopShotUK

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I never did.

armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:06 AM
I'm using a reward chart for potty training right now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Quoting armyvet06:

I'm using a reward chart for potty training right now
I did too when I was potty training

Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
5 moms liked this
I think they have their place. reward charts for eating dinner or having a good attitude, no. these are all things that should be done anyway. reward charts for reaching goals like therapy or potty are great in my opinion. its positive motivation and helps them visually see them getting closer to the goal.
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I would do reward charts and they seemed to work for a bit, but then not long after that. I have been thinking about them again and am willing to give them another shot! I think a reward chart might be a good incentive for your daughter. Good luck!

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I used them for potty training and for PT.

artistmom27
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I use them for chores, and extraordinary circumstances

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
We have a 'Good behavior' jar. She fills it with cotton balls and when it's full she gets to go do something fun with me or her daddy.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I haven't used one.. I think they are a good idea. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: