Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i posted earlier about a boy i knew who was killed last wednesday.  a family friend set up a memorial fund at a local bank, which i see often with unexpected deaths.  i've always wondered what the memorial fund is for.  is it to help the family pay for the unexpected funeral & medical costs?  is it a way to help the family out without just handing them a check? 

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Replies (11-19):
mereinhart28
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I think it is to help pay for funeral costs....not sure though.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

i kinda figured it was like a "discrectionary fund" for the family, to use as they needed. 

Quoting Ladyisis:

I think most of them are for either funeral costs, to help the family with not being able to work, for their children if it was an adult that died passed away, etc. It is definitly to help the family out though one way or another.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Quoting othermom:

I think ithelps with the funeral.

Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Quoting othermom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Quoting othermom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyjane22
by Amy on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I always figured it was to help pay for all the funeral and medical expenses.

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Expenses. Some might go for the funeral, but some could go to things even like take out meals because the family is too upset to cook :(

Maries_Mom23
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I wonder that as well...That boy from the show Buckwild died last week and immediately, a local store that he went to often set up a fund.  It was originally to pay for his funeral, but, MTV producers stepped up to the plate on that one.  I now wonder what the money the store collected will go to.

A few days later, a sheriff in another county was killed on his lunch break.  A local radio station set up a "fill the bucket" thing at the mall on Sunday to help out his family.  

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM
For funeral and other expenses like loss of work, food for out of town guests, and I can't think of anything else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)