Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hoopnotica?( hula Hoop Exercising)

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 23 Replies

Anyone heard of this or tried it? I got a random issue of Redbook delivered to my house yesterday (someone else's name my address lol) and there was an article about Kelly Osbourn losing a ton of weight and keeping it off hula hooping. (and she promotes this company Hoopnotica in the article).

Now I am only looking to lose maybe 20 lbs left from baby. I don't eat a lot as it is so drastically cutting my diet might make me eating less then once a day. Although I do need to cut out soda. But my belly, left over from baby, is my only area I think I need to loose anything and I can ab crunch til the cows come home but it isn't making a big difference. So I thought maybe I would give this a try.

But anyone do it with a regular hoop and not buy their system? Can you take weights onto a normal hoop? I hate spending money on basically anything lol so I can't decide if its worth the $35-60 to buy one of the two starter kits or if there are enough free videos around and a way to customize a cheap hoop from walmart.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Never heard of them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Hula hoops are great for losing weigh,
They do have weighted ones but I bet you could add your own.
But no have not heard of it ..
Good luck if you decide to try it :)

MamaMandee
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I have not heard of it but I could see how it could work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalibuMommy
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

The hoop is definitely worth investing in the hoop at the very least. You can look at youtube videos and join hooping/hoop dance online communities to learn more. That's what I do. I bought a hoop at big 5 and wrapped it in tape to make it grip my body better.

www.hooping.org is a blog type place to learn more about hooping.

www.hoopcity.ca is a community type place to learn and meet other hoopers in your area. 

I used hoopcity to locate hoopnotica certified trainers in my area. Hooping is quite fun adn there is a lot you can do. :) Look at youtube videos as well. just search hooping or hoop dance. :)

MamaJane
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I have heard of it. I can see how it will be great for the core.

However (do t you live that lol) abs were made on the kitchen. It isn't about cutting down the food but watching what foods you eat. Out foods in that will be good to your body. Is soda going to do anything for you? Well besides make you happy lol. And that's just an example. Just think about it. :) and yes any movement is good movement.
MonarchMom22
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I use a standard Kmart type hula hoop for exercise once or twice a week as a break from walking or biking.  I just get it going and alternate left and right foot forward, turning to the left or right side, feet apart or together, etc.  You can also vary you hand position.  I hoop from 20 - 30 minutes while watching TV.

My waist has definitely shown improvement from this, and it is cheap and easy.  I would start with a low budget regular hoop and see how you like it before investing in "special" hoops.  It is more important to get regular exercise - both areobic (like hooping) and weight bearing - than to have fancy programs or equipment.

So whatever keeps it fun for you is what counts.

myhandsomelove
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Never heard of it, but I've been wanting a hoop for a while. Like you the only area I need is my belly. I figured it would help, since its the core that does the work with a hoop.
dusky_rose
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I've never heard of it. Are you saying that you only eat once a day?

momofnatalie
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I have heard of it, I think it would be fun checking it out.  I wouldn't buy a weighted one until you practiced with a cheaper one to make sure you would use i regularly.

MommyOfOne2710
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I tried a weighted one once and it hurt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)