Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I witnessed Bad Parenting today. *edited*

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM
  • 49 Replies

Afterschool, my friends invited me and our kids to the local park.  One of the boys took a stick and apparently batted another child with it. My son and his other friend were NOT involved in this incident they were playing monster trucks quietly by themselves. The kid who got batted never said anything and the mother instead of letting the boys work it out amongst themselves, the mother SCREAMS at the aunt of the child in front of all the children, that how dare her kid act like that (just being boys) and how she's removing her children from the park ( her kids wanted to stay and verbally said so) this woman was such low class. I am for 100% for being mama bear and protecting your child but to scream (cussing and all) in front of the other children and all was not being a good parent. The correct thing would have been to removed the stick from the child, have them both apologize to each other/put kid in timeout. Her kids didn't want to leave.  My son even asked why she was yelling so loud.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
4 moms liked this

Seems that maybe Mom needed a time out herself!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Agreed!

Quoting Tigress22304:

Seems that maybe Mom needed a time out herself!

cjsmom1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I hate parents like that. Kids play with sticks, it won't kill them. If it was that bad she should have taken the stick, made the boys say sorry, and speak to the adult who's with that child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Yelling doesn't set a good example for the kids.

leavinglasvegas
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Not sure how old these kids are but...no, yelling doesn't solve anything. However, if my little girl got hit with something, I would say something not 'let them work it out'. It's one thing if they are having a disagreement, but my daughter needs to be secure in the fact that if someone physically hurts her, I'm not going to just stand there. It's my job as her mother to make sure she doesn't come to physical harm, even if it's from another child.

My 2 girls push and shove - and get punished for it. I don't just stand there and let them hurt each other. I'm not going to let some playground kid hit her on the head with a stick.

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Physical violence is NEVER a time to let kids "work it out"

Quoting leavinglasvegas:

Not sure how old these kids are but...no, yelling doesn't solve anything. However, if my little girl got hit with something, I would say something not 'let them work it out'. It's one thing if they are having a disagreement, but my daughter needs to be secure in the fact that if someone physically hurts her, I'm not going to just stand there. It's my job as her mother to make sure she doesn't come to physical harm, even if it's from another child.

My 2 girls push and shove - and get punished for it. I don't just stand there and let them hurt each other. I'm not going to let some playground kid hit her on the head with a stick.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I would have a hard time seeing my child get hit, so I would check with my child to see if she was ok and intervene.  I have girls so I know boys are a little more rough and tumble but I would ask the child to be more careful and that sticks are not for hitting. 

Quoting tyfry7496:

I agree. Physical violence is NEVER a time to let kids "work it out"

Quoting leavinglasvegas:

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM

no need to screem.. she could have made the parent/caregiver of the child aware of what he was doing and let her tell her kid not to hit with sticks.. guess she has a short temper or maybe she was unhappy about something in her personal life.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group ;)
36 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Hmm .. not good for her to have done that :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN