Group Home

Smarter Mom: Summer Plans?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

It's hard to believe, but summer break is right around the corner! And that means finding things to do to fill those long, long weeks of empty days. Whether you work for pay or as a SAHM, that can be a tall order, especially if your kids are too young to plan their own activities or just go play without supervision.

My son went to YMCA Day Camp last summer and loved it, and my daughter is just old enough to do some of the more academic special interest camps. Of course, they're not cheap; average price seems to be $150-200 with some rocketing north of $300. That means they get to do one, maybe two depending on the cost. It's worth it, though; they have a great time, keep their brains active, and I don't have to have the "only boring people are bored, get out of my hair and make your own fun" discussion 90 times a day.

Here's a good story on finding the right day camp. In addition to these ideas, I would probably ask questions about the experience level and training of the counselors, if there are lifeguards in addition to the counselors during swim time and what food restrictions exist. An as always, follow your gut. If something seems off or rubs you the wrong way, listen to your instincts.

What are your kids doing this summer?

Image (c) IStockPhoto/diego_cervo

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Oldest ds will work, youngest will take his last class,
We'll hit the beach end of July together .. can't wait :)

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Ds is working

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

We will be hanging out at home. We will still have karate lessons but that is the only activity we will be doing. We will also be going to VBS at our church. Other than that not a whole lot. Maybe a trip to the beach with my parents and brother's family. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Nothing

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM

going to the pool frequently and going on a vacation to ucheed creek and staying in a cabin. also going to camp sometime in there. my kids are grown but we will be doing this with the grandkids.

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM
We rent a site at a campground all summer. Boating, fishing, swimming, hikes, friends, parties, etc. I love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Life.Happens
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I'm not sure what we'll be doing this Summer.
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We cannot send them to the camps, they seem to have gone up more and more through the years. I will be with them and we will do things together. Picnics at the parks, going to the beaches, the zoo, the museums, the festivals they have in town, etc. We will be doing art projects, baking, reading, music and anything else we find fun to do that day.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Couple of day camps.

SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM
The usual. Waterparks, day trips, lots of outside time!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie