Smarter Mom: Spring Cleaning Tricks

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

I confess: I hate cleaning. Like, hate it with every fiber of my being. But there are ways to make your spring cleaning, if not fun, at least bearable.

My best tip? I have certain podcasts I like that I only let myself listen to when I am cleaning. I prefer comedy podcasts, so they make me giggle while I am working and I've even been known to clean a little longer so I can finish listening to a whole one. My husband's favorite cleaning soundtrack is Irish music (and he's not Irish), and believe it or not it's very motivating and fun to listen to while you clean!

Lifehacker asked its readers for their favorite spring cleaning hack, and I loved what the winner came up with: Take a big laundry basket and start in one room; put everything that doesn't belong in the room in the basket. Move on to the next room and put away anything in your basket that belongs there and pick up anything that doesn't and put it in your basket. Keep this up until you've made it all the way around the house (and don't forget your basement if you store a lot of stuff there).You could even get your kids involved!

Laundry baskets also work for this decluttering tip: If you're on the fence about getting rid of something, put in a laundry basket and store the basket in the closet. If you haven't used those things when you do next year's spring cleaning, out they go. I am a pack rat (although less of one than I used to be!) so I really like this one.

And finally: Store your supplies in a bucket. That way you have everything you need...rags, spray cleaners, liquid or powder cleaners, sponges, etc. in one place, tucked into a bucket you can use for cleaning. It's a HUGE pain in the neck to have to go back to the cupboard where you store your supplies a bunch of times, and I know I have a tendency to think "Oh, look, I just passed my computer, let me just check Facebook for one minute..." and then an hour's gone by. If procrastination kept your house clean mine would be spotless!

Do you like spring cleaning? What's your favorite tip?

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
feeling happy :)
Yesterday at 4:37 PM
by Pam on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I usually just do spring cleaning all year long where it doesn't pile up on me. Don't really have any favorite tips.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I love it. I put on my 80's tunes and get to cleaning

powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM
No.
I too dislike it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I just do one thing when I have five extra minutes: wipe down the toilet, sweep, tidy the counter... Then I don't have to do as many "big cleans". I like the laundry basket idea, though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I need to step up my spring cleaning big time! It's bothering me..but I can do some at a time because my baby and toddler are keeping me very busy lately. I love the idea to listen to comedy. I usually listen to music that gets me active to clean, but I want to try some comedy now.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I dont do spring cleaning but rather think of the things I have been putting off, like cleaning those pesky spider webs and rearranging things. everything is overwhelming to me on a large scale but if i break it down and do a little bit each day, it's not as bad

gridgal
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Oh, I love the basket idea. Thanks for sharing that! I hate, absolutely hate, spring cleaning. But, I feel great when it's done. Something I've done recently is enlist my kids' help with the project. It's a great way to teach them responsibility and teamwork. When I started doing this, I wasn't sure what was reasonable to expect at their ages, but I found a great article on the website of the non-profit I'm associated with that gives a list of ideas. Here's a link if anyone else is interested: http://bit.ly/XT3JkR.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I hate cleaning with a passion. I crank up the radio & have dd help me. It always goes faster with helpers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

baking soda to clean tile floor

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My tip? Take a day off from work to get it done :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

What is your family's favorite springtime activity?