Group Home

Smarter Living: Documents We All Need

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

It's that time of year when I look around my abode and that feeling just washes over me. The feeling that I must go through everything, get organized, redo those drawers and closets, really scrub the corners of the baseboards...yes, friends, I have Spring Cleaning-itis.

We will break it down more next week (so be sure to check back), but today, I'm tackling the not-so-fun part of Spring Cleaning - that area of the closet or office that has all of my family's vital papers. You know, the old tax stuff, social security info, and the like...going through it always reminds me of certain documents we all need to have (and know where they are). What does everyone need? Here's the main list:

A Will - We've chatted about this before, but it's good to go over it again. Even if you don't have many assets, you need to have a will. It goes over where you want anything you do have to go and, most importantly, dictates the future care of your children.

A Living Will and Financial Durable Power of Attorney - These are BFFs in the document world as they spell out what you want to have happen to you and who should make decisions your behalf about your medical care, your possessions, finances and care of your children if you can't communicate for some reason.

Kids Protection Plan - This is a tad different than the living will and power of attorney in that it outlines what happens to your kids in the short term, in the hours immediately after some crisis or event, before those you have set as long-term legal guardians can get to them. It is a good idea for those that live away from family.

Passports and other minor documents - Everyone in your family, even younger kids should have a current and up-to-date passport. Other good documents to have around and have notarized copies of: birth certificates and marriage licenses. As far as non-legal documents, a list of everyone's health info (blood type, past operations, any allergies) is a good and handy thing to have.

Do you have all of these documents? Are they up-to-date?

ŠiStockphoto.com/AnsonLu                       

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM

No I don't, but really need to get a Will and something in place for DD to go to my Brother if something was to happen to me.  Guess I really don't know a low cost place to go. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I dont.I guess I never really think about them but I need to

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:44 AM

No we don't.

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:55 AM

No we don't. My hubby had a will when he was in the Marines, but we need to make a new one. We have already talked about where our kids will go in the event of our passing and that person is aware / agrees. Our friend who is very knowledgeable in this type of thing said that since we spoke with someone about custody and we both agree, that there is no reason to worry about a will for this specific reason, but we still have to make one to deal with all the other things a will covers.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM
No we don't. My daughter actually asked me the other day if we had a will and when I said no she was shocked and asked where they would go That girl thinks too much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:06 AM
No I need to get on all of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM
No but it's on my list of things to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommythree0508
by Corinne on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Nope:(
mamacalifornia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

No we don't we keep talking about but never do

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

This is a great list !! TFS !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80