Smarter Health: Eye Health 101

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

According to a recent study, one in five Americans admits to putting off an eye exam because "their to-do list was too long." Hmmm, not a good reason, folks. When was the last time you got your eyes checked? It is one area where we let health care slide...that and the dentist, right? But checking on our peepers regularly is vital, not only for the care of your eyes but also because eye problems can often detect other health problems like high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol and diabetes.

What do you need to think about as you head to the eye doctor? Anything that has seemed to change recently - blurry vision, poor night vision, trouble judging distances, floaters, all of that kind of stuff. If you wear glasses or contacts, be sure to bring them.

Take note of your kiddos eyes, too. If they are complaining of headaches or if their schoolwork is starting to be a bit off, it may be due to their vision. If your kids are seeing the eye doctor, a good thing to ask is about protecting their eyes while doing sports.

Aside from visiting your eye doctor regularly, one huge thing you can do to protect your eye health: wear sunglasses and make sure they block those damaging UV waves.

When was the last time you went to the eye doc? Have your kids ever been?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ alfabravoalfaromeo    

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM

My kids get eye exams at school yearly. My youngest also goes to a Pedi Ophthalmologist (holy balls I spelled that right without having to google it!!) because she has an eye issue and wears glasses.

I just got mine checked in October. Before that it had been 3 yrs. :-/

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM

My kids get checked at every well visit appointment and at school. I was just there last month.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Dh & I are a little overdue but only about a month. Dd has never been but she will go this year.
wandep
by Pam on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I get eye checkups yearly. The kids get them too. Hubby and I both have glasses.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I went a year ago and need to wear my glasses but I hate them. My kids go every year.2 of them wear glasses

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

The last time I went was about 5 years ago! Yes, I gotta go! My kids went last year..it's about time I take them.

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM

My daughter takes an exam at our family doctor's office and in school. I had to read the chart at the DMV last year. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I was seen a few months ago. The kids get checked at school and my son has gone to an eye doctor

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting fraujones:

My daughter takes an exam at our family doctor's office and in school. I had to read the chart at the DMV last year. 

The kids get checked at the doctors office too

BeachMommy07
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

My son has been and his vision is perfect, I am due for a check up in the next coming month..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: