Smarter Style: Dyeing Your Hair

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 125 Replies

The other day, I showed a bunch of my mommy friends a picture of me from college. A few of them said I looked like a totally different person...the main reaction? "OMG, you are so BLONDE!"

I forget that they have never seen me with lighter hair...funny as I spent most of my life with blonde hair or at least blonde highlights. Until at least 1995, when I committed to being my naturally dark brown self. Now, however, I'm a naturally brown with a lot (A LOT) of grays. Yes, I've even had a few sales folks comment on how great I look ala natural with the silver streaks. That makes me feel good on one hand, but a little, well, not so good on the other.

So the question at hand: to dye or not to dye. I'll be 41 next week. I'm not exactly ready to be a silver fox, so to speak. But I also hate the upkeep that coloring my hair requires.  Home coloring has come a long way, I know, but, still, I'm not sure I want to go down that road. A few hair professionals said low lights -- putting in some streaks of my darker, natural color -- can be a good option, one that if I let it grow out or not hit the salon in many months, it is not a tragic hairdo faux pas.

I'm debating all of the choices...what about you? Do you dye your hair? How often do you keep it up?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ DustyPixel         

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM
2 moms liked this

i color my hair about every six weeks at home. not much work to it. i wouldnt do highlights at home though as i think they need to be done correctly by a professional.

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I've dyed my hair in the past. Sorta growing it out now to see how it will look with all the gray. lol

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I don't have any gray hair at 30. I'd like to think I'll just let my hair go gray naturally, but I guess it depends on how quickly it happens. Right now I don't dye at all.
chillemi78
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I dye mine a very close shade to my natural color to cover the gray. Its dark brown and I use a golden brown shade. The roots don't show at all so I can get away with doing it every 8 weeks or so. I don't even cover all the roots when I do it, I kind of paint it in like doing highlights where my gray hair is, so it is super easy for me.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I go and have mine done every 6 weeks. I don't do anything fancy or even change the color. I just don't want to be 89% gray at 37
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I dye my hair. I have been doing it since 9th grade. I used to do it every two months or so to matain the color, but I don't really do it as much anymore. I went MONTHS maybe even close to a year without dying my hair, but I finally got some a few weeks ago :) I PERSONALLY will make sure I have dye in stock once I start getting gray hair lol. I always do burgendy colors.

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I don't dye my hair, but I will add color.  Right now I have very  red highlights. 

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I dyed my hair from the time I was 17, til I was in my 50's. I just got too busy, and thought the sun was bleaching my naturally dirty blonde, but took a really good look one day, and I was gray. I know I would look younger if I dyed it, but why go through the growing out again???

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM

First... Happy Birthday!! :)

Second, I have a streak of white hair sort of like Lilly Munster? lol.. and I dye it all the time, I use home dyes because if not I would be broke. People often tell me why dont I just let it grow, I have! but it makes me look soooooooooooooo old! :(  so I dye it :) 

I will stop dyeing it when I am about 60 and leave all my grays be free :)

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not color my hair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: