Group Home

A friend just spent $55 for a pair of Nikes for her 2 1/2 year old son.

Posted by   + Show Post

Curious!  A friend just spent $55 for a pair of Nikes for her 2 1/2 year old son.  I silently lost my mind.  Likely he won't spend 6 months in those shoes.

Do you buy brands like Nike, Adidas, or even Stride Rite  for your kids under the age of 6 say? Or do you stick to the cheaper brands because you know they won't be in them long?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (431-440):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Wow no wonder theres so many replies...its a featured post lol.
JCB911
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I could have wrote what you just did.  We are not walking advertisments for companies.  I will not buy something just because it has a fancy name-brand on it - I will not but something that is not worth the money.  And we can afford it - but I'd rather that money go and stay in our bank account and investments then to fork over money that isn't necessary.  It's not about what we can afford it's "is the product worth it? And more times than not it is NOT.

Our kids are 3 and 5, I've spent 15 on shoes for them but I cringe doing it.  Mostly I get things from friends and then I pass our (nicer) things on to friends as well.

I will not spend money on something , for the kids, myself or my husband, that doesn't matter. and name brands do not matter.

I teach the kids in the grocery store that if they see a cartoon character on a box that the cartoon is trying to trick you into buying that product.  The item without the cartoon actually tastes better, but the cartoon is trying to trick you. Then I ask "Are you going to let  (cartoon character) trick you?" and they answer "No".   So same goes for adults and name brands - "Are you going to let Nike, Addidas, etc trick you?"

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Quoting CatFishMom:

Nope. Name brands like that (shoes or regular clothes) will never see the light of day in my house-it's a waste of money and I and my family are not walking billboards for some stupid company. I even go so far as to look at a shirt or shorts, whatever, and the minute I see the logo or name of the company emblazoned across it I immediately put it back, regardless of whether I liked it before I spotted the writing. The only name brands I'll buy are, like, Osh Kosh and Carter's. Otherwise, if it's a name brand, it was on clearance for next to nothign and has no marks on the outside to show the world what Im wearing.

I hate spending more than fifteen on shoes for the little ones, so I shop places like Marshall's for my kids where I can get good ones for less than the bigger stores.

CafeMom Tickers

Dolcepsle
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM
My daughter (4 yrs) has worn See Kai Run, PediPed, Uggs, Converse and Stride Rite since birth. Now I occasionally buy shoes at Janie and Jack as well. My son (now 16) wore Vans, Adidas, Nike and Doc Martens from birth. I bought comfortable shoes for them and I had the money to buy the brands. If I didn't have extra money I'd have put my funds to use elsewhere.
lvgrammy
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM

My son could not wear the cheaper brands, they hurt his feet, but I could always find a sale.

melissaanne2002
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I do bcz my boys wear out the Walmart shoes in 1 month! So I need quality to make them last the 4-6 months they r in them. My boys are rough on their shoes but they r outside running around alot so I know it's worth the money. My boys know how good shoes feel good and poor quality shoes are uncomfortable.
randired
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I buy good brands for my childrens feet because the feet are so important and a proper shoe is the best for growing children. I always bought Geox sneakers or more upper name brands because the technology is there. When the kids are growing so rapidly, so are their feet. When they are indoors they should always take their shoes off and walk barefoot or with socks. A child shouldnt even be in a shoe for 6 months. It should be 4 months tops! They should have their feet measured and a shoe fitted at least every 3-4 months. You can hinder the growth of their feet with sneakers that are too tight or not properly fitted. This can cause severe problems in their feet when they older like mine. I cant wear certain shoes, certain heels etc etc and most of the doctors i have gone to about my foot problems tell me its because my feet were not allowed to grow properly when i was a young child. I sacraficed other things by taking advantage of hand me down clothing.

gamermom81
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
thats exactly my point that is being bitter or jealous, and I actually agree that its frivolous to me because that's bill or grocery money but its not for any of us to say what someone else does with their own $

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting gamermom81:

honestly why do you care? yes its kinda frivolous but its not your money so it doesnt effect you. even talking about it here just makes it seen like you are jealous and/or bitter

I dont see the PP as being bitter or jealous but maybe she thinks like a lot of people here...$55 is a weeks worth of groceries. Maybe the PP doesnt have the money to even look at more expensive shoes so she doesnt see the difference.

Colter
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I do when they are second hand!  Just recently I couldn't find any second hand shoes for my 9 year old son.  I ended up paying full price, but I found some Nikes for $35.  Even that was painful for me.  I know they will only last him until mid summer at most.  

JennPearce
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I do. I can afford it & I wear good quality shoes. Why wouldn't my kids get the same quality stuff? There are sales & clearance that make these things easily attainable.
ZamilyMom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I don't spend $55 for my own shoes!  I do think it's important to buy good quality shoes. However, I follow the motto "Never spend more than you absolutely have to!"  I buy Stride Rite for my younger ones, and Nike or Rebok for my oldest, DH and myself by shopping at the outlets, especially the clearance section!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80