Smarter Mom: Field Trip Survival

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am the veteran of quite a few school field trips, and recently experienced the first one where I had my own "group" of little people to be responsible for. Let's just say I have a whole new appreciation for my child's teacher now. And I learned a few things along the way to make the next time much smoother:

1) Bring a big bag. I had my small crossbody purse and it was too small for my kid's souvenirs, our leftover water bottles and uneaten lunch apples, and the much-needed umbrella. If it had been sunny I would have wanted sunglasses, sunscreen, etc.as well.

2) Be reachable. I handed each girl a business card (which has my name and cell number on it) and told them to show it to someone who works at the park if we got separated. If I'd thought of it beforehand, I would have written on stickers with a Sharpie and stuck them on the backs of their sweatshirts.

3) Bring cash. Someone will forget to, and you want to be armed in case one of your charges runs up against a nominal expense you can help with, like a bottle of water on a hot day or or a ride on the park train so you're not exhausted walking everywhere.

Even though it can be tough duty, chaperoning a field trip allows you the invaluable opportunity to see your child in her daily environment with her friends. You can get a sense of where they fit into the social strata, who has a crush on who, which old friendships may have run their course and which new ones are forming. And it's a chance to spend a whole stolen school day with your child doing something interesting, which is pretty great.

Have you done field trip duty? What's helped you survive?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I'm going on my first field trip as a parent in just a couple of weeks! Thank you for the tips... Especially like the idea of giving the kids my # and bringing extra $. I'm also planning to bring my camera, and hopefully I can share any good photos with the other families as well.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM
It's been a long time for me. I can't take off work. However my hubby is doing one next month with our youngest. Ill make sure he brings a big purse ;)
AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I have never done a field trip.  I will help out with events that are at school. 

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have severe back problems, and cannot go on field trips any more, but these are all good tips.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I am going on my first field trip with my son next week. I am so excited.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I have done field trip duty.  These are great tips!

Juniper53098
by June on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I love doing field trips!  I really didn't have any issues, so I don't have a survival tips.

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I've went on the beach trips at the end of the year. I bring extra food and sunscreen. Nothing prepared me for all of those kids hanging on me, lol. 

paytonleximomma
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Im going on a field trip with my DS in May and I just found out they have some many parents who volunteered that I will basically be me watching my own kid. 

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Great tips! I've done field trip duty several times. It was fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: