Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Let the Sunshine In

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies

In many parts of the country, spring is taking its own sweet time getting here. But you don't have to wait for Mother Nature to catch up before bringing spring into your home.

First of all, look at all the things you have in your home to add coziness in the winter, and wash and store them until next fall. That chenille throw that looks so inviting in October just looks heavy in April, and those gorgeous velvet drapes block too much longed-for sun. Just like your wool sweaters and boots, they will look wonderful to you again in the fall, but for now, store them!

Look around at other accessories too: dark colors, heavy textures and anything that you could call "warm" needs to be gone.

Replace those winter cozies with bright, tropical colors and light, sheer textures. Swap out those  throws with loose open-weave blankets or drape an ikat-print sarong over an arm of the couch; put up crisp linen or cotton drapes or hang sheers. If you're feeling really ambitious, take up your area rug and put down sisal or a funky Mexican blanket. Add some summery-feeling throw pillows and winter will be banished (we hope). 

Don't overlook the things you might not think about right away, like the scents you use at home. Put away those pumpkin spice and pine forest scents and bring out ones that feel more springy to you.

What do you do to make your home feel more spring-like?

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Open the windows & have apring like smells through out the house :)

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I don't really do much :(

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Us too! Even if it's just for an hour or two in the afternoon, the open windows make the whole house feel so fresh!

Quoting hugss:

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM

We open the windows sometimes.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes!  Love it ;)

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Us too! Even if it's just for an hour or two in the afternoon, the open windows make the whole house feel so fresh!

Quoting hugss:

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

we put away the heavy blankets, and change the curtains. we open up the windows and blinds and let the sun light in

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Have all the windows and sliding glass doors open. Make koolaid and have fresh fruit

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Open windows. Bring in wildflower bouquets. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I open windows and put flowers in the house or at least greenery.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Start flower seeds..And a plant I bought, I had no clue it gave off purple flowers too..I just liked the pink leaves.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)