Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bulldogs are Beautiful Day

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

• Fact 1 - Description and Definition of Bulldogs: This medium size breed of dog has a massive head, powerful jaws and short legs
    • Temperament: Originally encouraged to be ferocious, this trait had been generally bred out of boxers and many can now be friendly and loyal
    • They are often considered unsuitable as a normal family pet as they require firm handling
    • Pitbulls have been cross bred from Bulldogs and a variety of different  types of terriers
    • For additional information refer to French Bulldogs  
  • Fact 2 - Origin of the breed: Bulldogs originated in England and was originally bred for bull baiting
  • Fact 3 - Size: The weight of Bulldogs range from 40 - 50 pounds
  • Fact 4 - Size: The height ranges from 12 - 15 inches, up to the shoulder
  • Fact 5 - Alternative Names of Bulldogs and Nicknames: Old English Bulldog, British Bulldog and American Bulldog
  • Fact 6 - Coat and colors of Bulldogs: The coat is normally of a  fine texture and smooth and comes in a uniform color often with a black muzzle
  • Fact 7 - Life of Bulldogs: the life expectancy of this breed of dog is between 8 - 10 years
  • Fact 8 - The names of dog breeds are separated into different dog types which are referred to as Dog Groups. The name of the dog group for Bulldogs is the Non-Sporting dog breed
  • Fact 9 - After the first year of life, dogs are considered to be adults - they equivalent to 16 human years!
    • After 2 years, they are equivalent to a 24 year old
    • After 3 years, they are equivalent to a 30 year old
    • Every year after  add five human years to determine the equivalent age of the dog
  • Fact 10 - Choosing Bulldogs as pets! The following considerations should be taken into account when choosing this particular breed of dog as a pet:
    • How much it will cost to feed and train the dog?
    • How much time will it take to groom the dog?
    • How much time will it take to exercise the dog on a daily basis?
    • Are Bulldogs suitable for children?
    • How much will it cost for vet bills, pet or dog health insurance, medication and vaccinations?
  • Fact 11 - Every breed of dog is susceptible to certain health problems and illnesses. Bulldogs are prone to health problems and illnesses such as:
    • - Hip Dysplasia (abnormal development of hip joints)
    • - Overheating
    • - Internalised Tail
    • - Puppies are usually delivered by Caesarean section due to large size of their heads
  • Fact 12 - Bulldogs were originally bred to help with various jobs and tasks such as:
    • - Bull baiting (hence their name)
    • - Guarding
  • Fact 13 - Breeding Bulldogs for appearance was only introduced in the 19th Century
  • Fact 14 - It is estimated that 85% of dogs visit a vet in a year
  • Fact 15 - The average cost of owning a medium sized dog, over a 10 year period, is estimated as over $13,000! This provides a good idea of how much it costs to raise Bulldogs

Bulldog

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
elasmimi
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I love bulldogs! My friend's son has a solid white deaf bulldog who knows some sign language! He is absolutely adorable.

momofsixangels
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

I love bulldogs! My friend's son has a solid white deaf bulldog who knows some sign language! He is absolutely adorable.

That is crazy!! How wonderful for him to learn that!

bwsmommy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I must say .. they are sooo ugly to me , but yet cute ..lol !! thanks for sharing !

MamaMandee
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Cute day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Makes me think of the Butler Bulldogs, I have a crush on the coach lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Soooo cute!

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

My husband's grandma has a bulldog! I think they are cute. Interesting facts! Thanks for sharing.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

My sister had one..She paid 1600.00 for her..Then when she was in the mid of a divorce her hubby tried to keep it from her..So she had to prove she paid for her and got her.. 

taniamorse85
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I love bulldogs!  They're so ugly, they're cute, lol!  I certainly can't imagine a bulldog being ferocious.  Every one I've been around has been a total goofball.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN