Group Home

Smarter Home: Spring Cleaning Phase I

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a confession to make: I love spring cleaning. Don't hate me for saying this, but I love a fresh, organized home. After the winter months of shoving and tossing and layering stuff on top of stuff, I love to get into every closet, every drawer and give the abode a top-to-bottom good scrub down.

I just used "love" three times when talking about cleaning. Riiiggghhhht...I know...I'm a tad overboard with this stuff, but even you feel one-tenth of what I have, then you understand where I'm coming from, and I've gathered the top hints and how-tos to tackle this annual event. Let's go: SpringCleaningpalooza 2013 starts here!

-- Start by surveying. Before you begin scrubbing the walls, take a bit of time and look at the whole house with a pen and paper in hand. Make a list of what you want to accomplish, what cleaning products you may need, bins to organize certain areas, and so on. At the same time, note anything you will want to clean in Phase II (that's coming Wednesday, folks).

-- Plan on organizing, sorting and purging first and then cleaning...and plan on it definitely taking more than one day. Trying to do it all in a day is just asking for you to become frustrated.

-- Get the right tools. Check over and gather all what you need. Think paper towels, trash bags, boxes to haul stuff out of the house, dustbuster, cleaning and storage products (Magic Eraser, Ziploc bags, bins and so on), and if you have it, a label maker.

-- Get started. Tackle each closet and every drawer, places you don't normally organize - and where you have been shoving stuff for the past six months (or few years?). Donate unused clothes and goods, makes piles of those that need fixing, gather seasonal clothes and items together and so on. This is where you need to be honest in getting rid of stuff you just don't use or wear. Make room for your life right now.

Once you've really purged and re-organized those closets, pantries and drawers, it's time to clean! Check back on Wednesday for the nitty gritty on the rest of Spring Cleaning!

Have you started Spring Cleaning? What's the main area of your house you are dreading doing -- or excited to tackle?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Rapideye

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I have started going through closets.

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I little bit. We have a lot of organizing that needs to happen around here.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I have been doing a lot of cleaning in the past 2 months.I hate doing the garage.Its almost half done.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I have been working on it a little at a time. I am putting off cleaning the screened in porch. It is huge and lots of furniture that needs to be repainted.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:07 AM
I have started it and have a lot to go. I have to do a little at a time because my baby doesn't let me do much these days... So it will take longer than usual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM

i try to do a little at a time so there isnt a lot in one go...clothing has been streamlined a lot lately

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I have done most of mine. I am working on the craft studio today. I purged my scrapbooking supplies and now have to down size the organizer unit I have and figure out what I am doing with everything.

I am dreading doing the basement but I am going to do it. There is a lot to go th rough and purge. I also have to go through all the photos in the attic and get them ready for scrapbooking. I tis a big project that must get done while my mother-in-law is still with  us.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Come to my house???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM

getting baby's crib all sorted and cleaned out...updating the house

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I just do mine year around or try too. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80