Smarter Home: Spring Cleaning Phase II

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Say it with me: I feel the need...the need for clean! Okay, I totally butchered that Tom Cruise-Top Gun quote, apologies, but we aren't quite done yet with the Spring Cleaning Bonanza we kicked off on Monday. It's Phase II, folks. More tips, more hints, more ways to freshen and fix up that house of yours! (Psssst, this is the part where you get really dirty, so don those holey, old jeans and that stained tee and get going!)

-- Start by surveying. I know, déjà vu as I told you that on Monday's Phase I, but the same goes here. You may have noted places on the first go-round, but look at each room and jot down what you want to do in every space - baseboards, walls, carpets, light fixtures, and so on.

-- Don't try to get everything done in one day. Again, don't speed through. This is the time to devote time to making those walls sparkle.

-- Get everything ready. Make sure you have all of the products you need and put them all in a tote to carry them from space to space. Dig out the stepladder and have enough garage bags on hand.

-- Look high, look low, look behind. This may be the only time you get to those places really high up or in back of that wardrobe. Make the most of it.

-- For the walls, have two buckets: one for a hand dishwashing liquid-water mixture and one where you rinse out your sponge. After going over the walls, use a clean towel to wipe it down to prevent streaks.

-- Move those books. In bookcases, take books out and wipe them down. This really makes a difference. While you are at it, rearrange them, place a few horizontally, change it up to have a fresh new look to your room.

-- Clean vents and lighting fixtures and look behind appliances. Spring cleaning time is perfect for checking coils on fridges and washing machines and dryers.

When was the last time you cleaned your walls? Do you like to clean or do you hate it?

©iStockphoto.com/diego cervo

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Not for awhile ::blush::
I  don't like to clean but want the clean look :)

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:17 AM

I don't do walls, except for spot cleaning. When they get that bad, we paint.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:07 AM
We cleaned them a while ago, to get out the smoke smell from the previous occupants. Much better now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on May. 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I don't normally clean the walls. Some things I love to clean and don't mind it. Other things like bathrooms I hate it. LOL

mamivon2
by Sandra on May. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I actually love to clean. but I have to be in the mood. and once Im in the mood nothing can stop me..

momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM
We did the walls over spring break. I try to do them once a year.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I clean my walls.I use fabolouso(sp) and they smell good!

momkaribg
by Kari on May. 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I haven't cleaned the walls in months but hope to get to it soon.
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I like to clean, it gives me a good feeling.  my walls I cleaned/wiped down about 2 months ago.. need to do it again :)

Juniper53098
by June on May. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I hate cleaning and I don't think I've ever cleaned the walls in this house, except spot cleaning of fingerprints.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: