Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Road Trip Tips

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

When we take family road trips, as we are about to do again this weekend, I have to get creative with ways to keep my 4-year-old calm and happy in her car seat for hours, because we don't have one of those fancy cars with a TV. And that's ok, because it's kind of fun to play car games, I think. Here are some of the ways I have come up with to keep her busy and content on the road, be in it cars or trains or airplanes even:

-Play "I spy". We take turns spying and guessing, and this can go on for a long time.

-Play scavenger hunt. We like to look for animals, colors, cool road signs and shapes, or interesting vehicles around us, like a flatbed or tractor or golf cart.

-Sing songs. We crank up the radio and sing along. This definitely makes the time go by, and burns some energy too! I bring along a few of my daughter's CD's as well. Listening to her favorite music entertains her and soothes her at the same time. Win, win!

-See who can keep a straight face the longest. (My kid loses every time and thinks it's hysterical).

-Books are one of the best ways to capture my kid's attention and keep her calm, anytime. I pick books that she is really interested in lately as well as some old favorites we have not read in a long time, just to mix it up.

-I always stash a few yummy treats and dish them out in small doses. My kid gets carsick so I have to stick to gum and lollipops and mints but that's enough to keep her happy for while and brighten her mood.

-I bring things she can play with easily in her hands like some play dough or pipe cleaners. In an airplane or train, if there is a small table surface, I bring a few Legos so she can build too and cards.

-In the car, I keep some instruments, like a little tambourine and couple of maracas to make music with.

-My kid always enjoys travel art supplies like a small dry-erase board and crayons or markers, a new coloring book, or a notepad with a pen on string attached. Of course stickers are fun too.

How do you keep your kids entertained when you travel?

© iStockphoto.com/DomenicoGelermo

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

we sing and play slug bug and water tower .. !! it seems to keep everyone happy ! we also stop often so everyone can stretch and move about ! snacks and drinks are also a must !

Rain2Rinse
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Dd is a reader, so it is pretty easy to keep her occupied. We also make frequent stops to allow her to stretch her legs and blow off energy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 6:04 AM

My girls take there DS's with them and there cameras and take pictures .

MamaJane
by Jane:) on May. 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this
We always pack a goody bag of things they haven't seen prior to the trip. Coloring and activity books, new reading books, etc.

I have to entertain an 8 and 9 yo for a half an hour during my daughters drum lessons and we play my aunt went to Africa and the alphabet game.
wandep
by Pam on May. 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM

They usually have their devices and books.

mamivon2
by Sandra on May. 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM

radio, talk, games,

momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM

We love playing I spy and slug bug

inmybizz
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

talk, read, play games, practice french, take pictures, doodle.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Watch movies, read, play games, draw

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on May. 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Last time I made them each a backpack. They had things to play with, draw on, snack on, and such. It worked very well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)