Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Easy Updo How-Tos for Hot Days

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

Here in NYC, we have finally have Spring! For a while there, it seemed like we were battling winter for months, well into the days we should have been getting some warmer temps. Of course, fast-forward to July: we will be chatting with the neighbor in the elevator - and complaining about the heat!

The main thing for me in the summer months: my hair. It's long and thick, and I love to rock the ponytail, which I do everyday. Which gets boring. So, in anticipation of the hot days (or rainy days or not enough time to do anything else days), I'm hunting down some ideas for easy updos to break out of my ponytail rut...and  passing them along to you!

Top Knot - This classic bun-at-the-top-of-the-head ‘do adds a little sass to any day. Think the Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's, but updated and not as "done." Thing is, it is so easy to do. Simply grab your hair at the top of your head, gather it into a high ponytail and secure it with a holder. Then wrap the ponytail around the holder, twisting it into a bun. Use bobby pins to keep it there - or I have seen people literally knot their hair and have it stay.

Messy Side Bun - This is a shift from the low, tailored bun, which can often veer into stern librarian or secretary look...it jazzes it up and is more fresh and modern. Part your hair on the side and then gather your hair behind your ear on one side. Divide your hair into two sections and begin knotting it. Keep repeating the knots, and wrap it around itself if you have very long hair. Have it all stay in place with bobby pins. The folks at Refinery29 added that you could leave the ends a little long and pull out tendrils for a messier look.

Casual French Twist - Go beyond the stiff prom French twist version with this one, simply done by keeping it a bit looser. Pull all of your hair into a low ponytail but don't secure it with a ponytail holder. Begin twisting up, gathering the hair inward, close to the head but not too tight. Keep it all together with bobby pins or a chic barrette at the top. A way to make sure it is casual? Keep some of the ends poking out of the clip.

Do you put your hair up in the warmer weather? What's your favorite hairstyle in the summer?

©iStockphoto.com/ olgaecat 

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I keep my hair cut short ! just because i have 4 boys and well i dont have time to do anything with it !

Rain2Rinse
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM
My hair is short. No worries here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on May. 6, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I do a pony tail but I've been admiring more inspired updoes lately. I may try it.
wandep
by Pam on May. 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Not really long enough yet to wear in a pony tail again.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I always put my hair up.Its cooler and its faster to just put it up

momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM
My hair isn't long enough to make a pretty bun but I wear pony tails when it's too hot to wear it down.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I do pony tails, but I have a hard time getting my hair into a bun. Maybe I'll buy some new clips and try the twist, though.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My hair is long, curly and super thick and it hates summer. I wear my hair up a lot.  

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I do a ponytail but these are cute!

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I like to have ponytails, I dont do the two anymore, because I feel I am too old for it, but the one up high or down low I still wear. I am going to have to do that today to go to school... lol didnt wash my hair yesterday. love the casual frensh twist.. going to try it ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN