Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Go beyond the homemade card! Great Mother's Day Gift Ideas

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

Mother's Day. It's only a few days away...so, what do you have planned? Are celebrating the moms in your life, while being feted as the fabulous mom you yourself are? What does your family usually do for you? Perhaps you will wake up to breakfast in bed (best-tasting burnt toast ever!) or maybe you get to take a few hours for yourself at the spa or just sleeping in for the first time in two years, 13 months and five days (but who's counting?).

Many of us love the little trinkets and Mother's Day doings our kiddos create under the supervision of our spouses. Cards, paper flowers, the aforementioned breakfast in bed. Maybe you are thinking about what to do for your own mom or ideas to subtly pass along to your husband on what you would like? We've rounded up a few great free - or almost free - Mother's Day gifts that almost any mom would love to receive, especially after sleeping in.

-- Finish up one of her To Do projects. Most moms have a few items that have just been hanging over them, whether it is organizing her recipes or getting the kids' artwork transferred digitally. Tackle that To Do for her and see her beam.

-- Finish up one of your To Do projects she's wanted you to do. From cleaning up the garage or finally weeding out all of your holey socks, do that thing she keeps asking you to do. Again, be prepared for a happy dance to erupt. (This is great for the kids too -- think going through old toys or cleaning up the playroom -- there are many little tasks they can do).

-- Set up her gadgets. Perfect gift for any mom who has a gadget that they haven't found time to update. Maybe put a few new playlists on her iPod or download an app or two she would really use. This is a great idea as a gift from a tween or teenager. If you have a mom in your life who needs a little guidance on the iPad or her computer, sitting down for an hour to help her is an ideal gift.

-- Make it her Favorite Day. Spend the day doing all of her favorite things: eating her favorite foods, doing favorite activities, watching her favorite movie or listening to her music, even have everyone wear her favorite color. This is cute for the kids too, as they may find out a favorite Mom has that they didn't know about before.

What do you want on Mother's Day? Share what you have planned!

©iStockphoto.com/ Panonnia

by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I actually don't know what I want? But we have a group of friends&kids we spend every Sunday together having potluck dinners!

momofnatalie
by Lisa on May. 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM

We were going to celebrate with my husband's family but it's been postponed due to illness of my FIL, so we are going to have brunch at a restaurant and then have a small dinner at home. 

lovemymd
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Friends and kids spend every Sunday together sounds so much fun.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I actually don't know what I want? But we have a group of friends&kids we spend every Sunday together having potluck dinners!

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Yes! We alternate houses! And make potluck dinners! And the kids play,women chat&men talk sports!

Quoting lovemymd:

Friends and kids spend every Sunday together sounds so much fun.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Every year I take my mom to an ealry Brunch since Moms day is hectic out! And my fam usually makes me breakfast in bed!

2lilmamas
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM
I most likely will spend Mother's day with my aunt. As far as what will do not sure but I know will be having dinner together.
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Ya know .. i have nothing planned .. i do know that ill be spending it with the best 4 boys in the world though !

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I don't want anything for myself,
Just my sons & they are working on it :)

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM
I will be spending the day with my in laws. No clue what to get my mil. My mom always wants a spa day. I don't really want anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on May. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

We're headed up to my parents for the weekend. Attending a mother daughter banquet and having lunch with my parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)