Group Home

Why is the media so judgmental on the long term unemployed?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
This is going into Smarter Living because it's about life direction.

Whenever I read articles about long term unemployment still being out of work, that the first assumption is that people are not wanting jobs that pay less than what is given through unemployment compensation of just being freeloaders?

Most people, like myself, are very aware and frightened of the consequences of being long term unemployed, that we really want to work, but facing a lot of discrimination (over/under qualified & stigma of unemployed). As for myself, I had to pull some unthinkable stops to get back into the work force (moving to Fargo, ND by myself, without money or knowing anyone). I had student loans, which were already deferred many times, along with other debt. The experience was dangerous (& I stayed I'm shelters- including Churches United and the YWCA). But, the outcome was that I finally had a work reference that I took with me back to the Kansas City area.

This solution would not work for everyone, because some unemployed are bound by a mortgage, which they don't want to lose through foreclosure (quick sale approach didn't being in buyers).. So these people stay on unemployment compensation.

What if people are trapped I'm their situations, that they don't want to lose their families, and hurt their children, through potential transition and homelessness?

Homelessness is a very scary prospect.

Thanks I'm advance
by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
donkeytoes
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Long term unemployment is a touchy subject, but it's only like that because people made it that way. When people hear the term 'long term unemployment', they only think about the fact that the 'person of interest' is unemployed for a long time. It doesn't cross their mind that 'this person' has specialized degrees and not much area in the job field.

I guess we can only blame the members of our society that brag about living on government money. We ALL know they are out there, all ages, all ethnic backgrounds, in all parts of our country.

maxswolfsuit
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess one of the reasons I tend to think that way about long term unemployment is because all people I know who are in that situation have quit and turned jobs down because they didn't like the pay, the hours or the job requirements. 

Unemployment varies so much in different areas. There are jobs available here that go unfilled for months. I work at a school and we've had jobs posted for months with no applicants. We've had applicants apply then quit after a week because the job is too hard for the pay. 

I think people in this area hear about national problems and it sounds better to blame the economy and talk about how impossible is to get a job than to be honest and admit there are jobs, they just aren't ideal.

It's a shame for people like you who work hard to change their situation that so many aren't willing to do anything and see the economy as the cause of their issues. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in one of the areas where there aren't many jobs, so long-term unemployment and homelessness are a very real risk for folks around here. When I see people talking about this issue, I don't judge. I'm thankful for what I have. I hope things continue to look up for you, OP.
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this answer. Everyone I know is unemployed because they don't want to work. I have been dealing with this with someone for over a year. She has basically no skills, keeps quitting waitress jobs because she gets mad, or gets fired for giving free food to her friends. She finally got a job in a factory with fairly good pay and excellent benefits, and quit after 2 days because it was boring. People like that give all unmployed folks a bad name. Fair? No! But that's how people tend to think.Good for you for doing what needed to be done!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I guess one of the reasons I tend to think that way about long term unemployment is because all people I know who are in that situation have quit and turned jobs down because they didn't like the pay, the hours or the job requirements. 

Unemployment varies so much in different areas. There are jobs available here that go unfilled for months. I work at a school and we've had jobs posted for months with no applicants. We've had applicants apply then quit after a week because the job is too hard for the pay. 

I think people in this area hear about national problems and it sounds better to blame the economy and talk about how impossible is to get a job than to be honest and admit there are jobs, they just aren't ideal.

It's a shame for people like you who work hard to change their situation that so many aren't willing to do anything and see the economy as the cause of their issues. 

maxswolfsuit
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My friend's husband got a job working for a company he'd worked for years before. Starting pay was good with full benefits. 

About a month in they offered him a shift supervisor position for a night shift. He turned it down. A few weeks later another supervisor position came open and he applied for it. They gave it to the person who took the position he turned down. He was basically told he proved he wasn't really a team player when he turned down the night shift and it would take some time for him to convince them he was. 

He got furious and quit. It's one of four jobs he's quit during his 6 years of unemployment. He quit one because the boss kept the AC at 78 degrees and he was too hot at work. He actually looked into seeing if he could disability that time. 

Every time my friend talks about how impossible it is to get a job in this economy I have to bite my tongue to keep from screaming. Her husband has no job skills and isn't a terribly hard worker. But both of them blame everyone else for their situation. 

Quoting elasmimi:

I agree with this answer. Everyone I know is unemployed because they don't want to work. I have been dealing with this with someone for over a year. She has basically no skills, keeps quitting waitress jobs because she gets mad, or gets fired for giving free food to her friends. She finally got a job in a factory with fairly good pay and excellent benefits, and quit after 2 days because it was boring. People like that give all unmployed folks a bad name. Fair? No! But that's how people tend to think.Good for you for doing what needed to be done!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally understand what you are saying.  There is always the issue that if someone works in a specified sort of job making very good money, that job isn't easy to replace.  The more money you make, the more specific your job is with a certain amount of education and experience required... and people don't vacate their positions as much as people who flip burgers.  I wouldn't give up on looking for a project management job to go bus tables, because that wouldn't pay the bills but project management would in the long run.

A lot of people on CM don't understand the difference between a job and a career.  You don't give up on your career to go make minimum wage at the mall, even if it is temporary.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

We are losing our home in 3 weeks. My dh had a great job but he has back problems. A lady rearended him and it made it worse.Then the company he worked for closed down.His back is so bad he is on morphine everyday.He gets ssi. The drs say its getting worse and he may end up in a wheelchair.Surgery wont help. I dont work b/c I have anxiety issues.I cant even leave the house alone.I am on meds.

WeirdScience
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I used to have general anxiety disorders when I was younger, in my twenties and early thirties. I grew up as a very awkward and overly sensitive child. I got teased a lot at school and at home. So, I was a wreck as a young adult. While being forced to work in my twenties, I cried a lot at work. As a person back then, I could go out and shop, but I had to be alone. I was very self conscious whenever someone was around me. I always had a thought that the person would turn against me for reasons I couldn't control. At work, I couldn't control my crying. I would always breakdown whenever made a mistake, thinking that I was about to get written up or get fired (which I know now was unrealistic). This was my healing process, that I had to get worse before I got better.

How I got better was to take a personal break by going to school, and freelancing under my own terms. I also lived by myself at this time too. By freelancing at my own pace (most was volunteer work), people were much nicer and less stressful to me. Through this experience, I was able to reorganize my emotions (sort of out-growing the anxiety). I was able to deal with working along with other people better, and knowing how to handle troublesome situations better.

The price that I had to pay was delayed work history development. So when I worked for that very cantankerous boss (when I was a bookkeeper), she was the real only reference I had within the true dynamics of the work world. That among other things started my descent downwards. Using volunteer and freelance didn't prove the dynamics that other employers wanted (by their own words). I was either too over/under qualified for any prospects in the economic riddled times. So I had to start over. And, taking off to Fargo, ND was the only answer I saw at the time. It was very dangerous, but it helped to get my finances together.

Hope this helped
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci