Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Refresh, Repurpose, Recycle

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

Do you own tons of old clothes you are tired of? There are so many ways to reuse and recycle old clothing, from simply keeping scraps as rags, to making stuff for your kids, or finding creative new ways to dress up something you are bored with. Here are some ideas to put some style back into something old, and get more use out of clothing before it ends up as landfill:

1)   Sort through the things you once loved but have grown tired of, and try adding some new accessories or mixing and matching them to create fresh new looks without buying a whole new wardrobe. A colorful scarf, a few bright chunky pieces of jewelry, a hat, new shoes and purse are all ways to totally change the look of an old suit or shirt or dress quickly.

2)   Make kids' clothing from your old items. I had a bunch of pretty patterned dresses and skirts that did not fit me anymore, so I took them to the seamstress and had her make some simple, cute kid's clothes for my child. You can make all sorts of adorable children's clothes and there are so many resources online to guide you. Here is one for example, with 1,000 free ideas! http://pinterest.com/karenatpeace/1000-kids-fashion-sewing-patterns-free/

3)   Make doll's clothes. You don't need to have a lot of skill or even imagination. It's a lot simpler than you think. All you need is some fabric, thread and needles, and a few buttons.  I like to use stick-on Velcro as well; it's easy for the kids to play with and saves me some work. http://www.craftfreebies.com/dollpatterns.html

4)   Make a costume. There's always a reason for dress up in my daughter's mind, so anytime I can help her cobble together something new and exciting she's thrilled. http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/kids-costumes.htm

5)   Make an apron. You can find some super cute apron style ideas online, like here http://tipnut.com/56-free-apron-patterns-you-can-make/. Aprons are great to make as gifts, for yourself or children or even for your sweetheart.

6)   As a last resort, you can find places to donate your old clothes or try to resell them on EBay. There is a recycling program at H&M stores right now that gives you 15% off a single item when you bring in a bag of old clothes to one of their 269 US retails stores. So pile up all those things you are tired of, and go get yourself a discount on something pretty and new. And you can feel good about the fact that nothing has gone to waste, too.

What do you do with clothes you are tired of?

© iStockphoto.com/4774344sean

by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this

sell it at my garage sale or give it away

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Take them to the good will or to a shelter.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on May. 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter takes some clothes that have shrunk up on me. I very rarely need to get rid clothes because I don't have what I don't need. My mom occasionally gives me things I don't like and I donate those things.

We do take old, stained t shirts and make rags. By doing this I also save on paper towels because I use the rags instead.
wandep
I luv Disney :)
Wednesday at 1:30 PM
by Pam on May. 10, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Donate to Goodwill or give away the better ones to friends.

BeachMommy07
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:38 AM

donate

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I usually donate them, but I'm definitely going to check out the apron patterns. I've been wanting to make an apron for a while now!
momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Wednesday at 10:42 PM
by Colleen on May. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Sell them or donate to red cross or salvation army

inmybizz
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

donate, resale

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on May. 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on May. 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM

We donate our old clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)