Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Summertime Budget Basics

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

So, when summer rolls around, do you kind of think, "Well there isn't much going on. Just playing in the yard, hanging out at the local pool, grilling fun." This brings a smile to my face, but beware...that whole train of thought can fool you into thinking you aren't spending that much money. But, as we all know, sometimes those trips to the ice cream truck and definitely those summer vacations add up -- and you may be going beyond your budget before you know it.

Though it is the last thing you want to do on a sunny day, why not take a look at your budget and refigure it for summer spending? A few tips:

-- Take your daily routine and shift funds around accordingly. So maybe you aren't spending as much gas money since you aren't going to school twice a day...those funds can go for some extra dollars you need as you are entertaining the kids or to a vacation fund.

-- Trim your electric bill. Since you don't have to heat your house, try to shave off a few dollars by keeping windows open and using fans instead of running the air conditioner the whole time.

-- Rethink lunch. If you usually aren't responsible for lunches for the kiddos, which can be a big dent in the grocery shopping budget. See what lunches you can make for less than a dollar a day, as well as how to use leftovers from dinners as a lunch.

-- Hold a garage sale. Summer is a perfect time to weed out stuff you don't need, don't wear, things your kids have outgrown. Hold a garage sale and put all of the funds into helping pay for part of that weekend road trip to the beach.

How do you budget for the summer expenses? Do you find your spending habits are different than other times of the year?

ŠiStockphoto.com/hatman12

by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 5:50 AM

I start shopping for extra lunch type snacks a few months before school gets out to help stretch the budget.

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 5:57 AM
The budget really doesn't change too much. Dd likes to eat a lot f fresh fruit and veggies around lunch time. My neighbors conveniently have an amazing garden that I have access to. Yay! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM
We grill out a lot during the summer with my in-laws and we will all pitch in with foods and drinks. Sometimes we get great deals and have extra for the next day or so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on May. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM

We save on heat, so that's a big plus. There is a beautiful beach nearby that is free. We do spend money on amusement parks and fairs, but overall summer is the cheapest time of year for us. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Good ideas!

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

spring clean and sell things to have $ for summer and fun stuff!

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

We don't do much diffrent for summer. Kids lunches do cost more at home.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on May. 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

we are so screwed finantially right now that I can't even think

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

spring clean and sell things to have $ for summer and fun stuff!

That is a good idea. I am trying to do that for extra money, but am saving most for christmas

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EbonySnow:

we are so screwed finantially right now that I can't even think

I hope that things get better for your family soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)