Group Home

Smarter Celebrations: Graduation Gifts You’ve Never Thought Of

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

About this time last year, we were celebrating Kiddo's preschool graduation. She got a stuffed kitty, which was quite the appropriate gift. But I know many of us have family members that are moving on from high school and college...perhaps your own kiddo? What can you give to commemorate this event? Well, beyond the pen set and briefcase the graduate will never use and the ubiquitous cash gift, there are some options you may not have thought about.

Now, I've tossed the gauntlet with this title, eh? I mean, I really don't know every thought you've every had about graduation gifts, but well, it got you to click right...I have my ways (insert evil laugh).

For the high school graduate:

-- Extended warranties. Pay for all of her gadgets to have extended warranties. Those phones and iPads and computers will be tossed around a lot in the dorm room.

-- A good travel bag. She's going to be coming home for breaks, perhaps traveling more than she ever did before this. A good-sized rolling bag, not too small, not too big, will be used over and over again -- just make sure it can fit under a bed so she can store it in her dorm room.

-- Gift certificates for the pizza place in her college town. She's going to pull some all-nighters and will need nourishment. Do a little research and find out who delivers to the dorms, what is the popular spot, and set her up.

For the college graduate:

-- A set of cookbooks. Think about it, he will be living on his own for the first time, perhaps cooking on his own. Get super useful ones, like one-pot meals or recipes with five ingredients or less, budget cooking and the like.

-- An emergency kit. Fill a small, handled tote box with essentials he may need - flashlight, waterproof matches, a crank radio, basic medical items for injuries. Right, not the fanciest gift, but one he will be thanking you for when the power goes out.

-- A classic watch. One that she can dress up or down, a gold or silver band, perhaps black leather with a rectangle face. She will love it when she goes to dinner with the CEO and his wife.

Do you know anyone graduating this year? What gifts do you give to graduates? What do you remember getting at your graduation? 

©iStockphoto.com/vkrykl

by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Great ideas I don't have anyone graduating this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM

My parents got me alcohol - Bacardi 151 and Goldschlager :) I was a happy girl !

momofnatalie
by Lisa on May. 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM
No one I know is graduating this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Emergency kit is practical and a good idea!

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Not this year.I like the idea of a gift certificate for a pizza place, nice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jemia
by Shekella on May. 16, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Tfs
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Quoting momofnatalie:

No one I know is graduating this year.

wandep
by Pam on May. 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I don't have anyone graduating this year. I remember my aunts all chipping in and buying me a set of luggage.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on May. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Neat ideas!
deadlights86
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM
All I got was money and not very much :/ I had my ds a month after graduating. God Ds will be 8 next month!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80