Group Home

Smarter Shopping: Save on Spring and Summer

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

With the warm weather here and summer approaching, there is a whole lot of seasonal gear a family can look forward to using and playing with, from garden tools to patio furniture, soccer balls to beach toys. You can break the bank if you go all-out on all these items, so it's important to think about which of them can be bought for a bargain without compromising the quality of your enjoyment. Some of these warm weather items are mostly disposable, one-season items, so it's smarter to buy these on the cheap, in large quantities. I'm talking about items which are really useful and necessary, and that you will use constantly, but that are also either easily lost, forgotten or broken (by kids, mostly). Here's my bargain list breakdown:

1) FOR THE BEACH: Beach gear and toys, including buckets and sand toys, sunscreen, towels, inflatable water toys or beach balls, even beach towels and beach bags. Beach gear WILL last a long time, unless you lose them, even when purchased very cheaply. You don't need to waste money on getting expensive ones when they will be covered in sand and washed a million times.

2) IN THE GARDEN: Garden gloves and sunhats, bug spray, candles, and kids' garden furniture, toys and tools. These will get so much wear and get lost so fast, it's not smart to spend a lot of money on these items when you could be saving.

3) PICNICS AND BBQS: Save on coolers, thermoses, and other picnic gear like baskets and reusable dishes and cups. They are almost ALL made of the same durable plastic or stainless steel, no matter what the price tag, so look for a bargain on these items and you can be assured they will last a long time even they are the cheapest you can find.

4) SPORTS AND PLAY: The kids are all loving the extra time they get to play outdoors now that it's warm, either kicking around a ball, or throwing one, or bouncing, jumping or rolling on something. Outdoor sports equipment can also add up really fast, AND is often lost or broken quickly. So look for sales and cheap-end items when it comes to this stuff. Kids will have the same amount of fun no matter how much you paid, remember that.

What warm weather gear have you saved on lately?

© iStockphoto.com/FineArtCraig

by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamivon2
by Sandra on May. 17, 2013 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS

MamaJane
by Jane:) on May. 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Hmmm I always try to wait for camping gear to go on sale. It doesn't matter the time of year. If we wait until before a big trip, we end up spending a fortune.
mrswillie
by CeeCee on May. 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I haven't bought anything recently

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM

cant think of anything...  maybe later :)

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Thanks!

Juniper53098
by June on May. 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I got a pretty good deal on a new tent.

momkaribg
by Kari on May. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
We always keep our beach toys. They last forever.
hugss
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Haven't bought anything yet :)

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on May. 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

TFS

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I bought chalk at target when it was on sale and had a coupon, for easter baskets. bubbles too. saved some money! also we hit up the dollar store if we need outdoor toys, pool/water toys, etc. then we dont really care if they break, we can just go back and replace them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80