Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer? Angelina Jolie did....

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
  • 407 Replies
3 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer?

Options:

Yes

No

Not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 955

View Results

Angelina Jolie revealed she recently had a double mastectomy because she discovered she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

Would you do this if you thought it would lower your chances of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer? I wouldn't think it's still a guarantee.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy/2157403/

by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM
7 moms liked this

Im not sure what I would do.I would have to be in that position

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on May. 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM
6 moms liked this

Yeah, really not sure, some things you just have to be in the situation to decide what you would do.

jdy9440
by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree with above...hard decision for sure

justins_momm292
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM
6 moms liked this

I would say no.  It's still no guarantee.

powow65
by kimmy on May. 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM
If they caught it early, *sigh*
Yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM
32 moms liked this

Absolutely. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I was tested when I was younger. She came with me and I told her that if I came up positive the boobs were coming off. I was not going to even risk what she went through. Thankfully I was negative. Even now I would remove them. They are just breasts and not worth the pain and suffering.

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Im not sure. It would be a hard choice, not bc im attached to them, just a hard choice. I think i would probably do it so i didnt risk the suffering later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anlei05
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yes I would.

PenelopesMom
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

This exactly. Same thing happened to my Mom, thankfully she's negative for the gene, but I'd lob these puppies off in an instant now that I know the information I know.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Absolutely. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I was tested when I was younger. She came with me and I told her that if I came up positive the boobs were coming off. I was not going to even risk what she went through. Thankfully I was negative. Even now I would remove them. They are just breasts and not worth the pain and suffering.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM
20 moms liked this
Dos she have her ovaries removed.too? Because the gene increases the chance of cancer there too.
Idk, I think because it is angelina jolie I kind of wonder if it was partially for publicity... But I I guess thats a little insensitive.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: