Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer? Angelina Jolie did....

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer?

Options:

Yes

No

Not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 955

View Results

Angelina Jolie revealed she recently had a double mastectomy because she discovered she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

Would you do this if you thought it would lower your chances of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer? I wouldn't think it's still a guarantee.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy/2157403/

by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
USBrit
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this

NO! I know that seems to be the popular thing to do, but surgery is surgery and she had to perfectly normal breasts removed just in case. What if they discover a gene that predetermines liver cancer? You wouldn't have that removed, right? You would just do everything you can to eat right, exercise, and hope that you would catch a disease before it becomes terminal.

randomosityblog
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

If I had more money than god and could afford that shit, sure.

momofamamasboy
by New Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I'm with you. Just because you are at risk, doesn't mean it's going to happen. I think it's an extreme measure all for a "what if"

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Dos she have her ovaries removed.too? Because the gene increases the chance of cancer there too.

Idk, I think because it is angelina jolie I kind of wonder if it was partially for publicity... But I I guess thats a little insensitive.
Megan11587
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Increased risk? No. Probably not. If I was diagnosed, of course.
randomosityblog
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM
8 moms liked this

Quoting USBrit:

NO! I know that seems to be the popular thing to do, but surgery is surgery and she had to perfectly normal breasts removed just in case. What if they discover a gene that predetermines liver cancer? You wouldn't have that removed, right? You would just do everything you can to eat right, exercise, and hope that you would catch a disease before it becomes terminal.

Her mother died of cancer and it took her chances from 87% down to 5%. I think it was a good decision.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Absolutely. I would also have my ovaries removed.

My great grandmother had breast cancer. My great aunt had it, my mom had a lump removed as well as a tumor on her uterus. I would definitely do it.
november117
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I don't think i would. Breast camcer runs in my family. It skips generations which would make it my turn. :/ I do get scared occasionally but you have to move past the "what if's". I also have a strong family history of Berry Aneurysms. My grandmother died of one and my uncle also had one but they caught it early.
SammiBaby
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM
4 moms liked this
Considering her mother died of cancer and the risk of her getting cancer dropped from 87% I think she made a very smart decision. Especially considering it's much easier to do before cancer versus after. She just happens to be lucky enough to be able to afford such things without a single forethought. Most average women don't have that luxury.
ballerina.2006
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I would without a doubt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmberRose1122
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM
She's so weird. No, I wouldn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: