Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer? Angelina Jolie did....

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer?

Options:

Yes

No

Not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 955

View Results

Angelina Jolie revealed she recently had a double mastectomy because she discovered she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

Would you do this if you thought it would lower your chances of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer? I wouldn't think it's still a guarantee.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy/2157403/

by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Replies (31-40):
RunningMommaof2
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
After watching my grandma suffer and die after breast cancer, yeah I think I would.
popomill
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM

No way. There is a lot of cancer in my family, should I remove my ovaries because my Grandma died of ovarian cancer? How about my thyroid because of that cancer risk? I'll take a pass because even though close relatives died from these cancers, it doesn't mean I will.

Traci_Momof2
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I definitely would not.  My breasts are my husbands absolute favorite feature on my body and removing them would be like killing a child's beloved puppy.  I would do everything else possible to reduce my risk and get regular check-ups but I would not get a masectomy just as a preventative measure.  The only way I would remove them is if they were actually diseased.

Emilytrademark
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM
5 moms liked this

I think it was a wise and brave decision. She has much better odds of being around for her children, and she sacrificed a LOT for that.

BabyFruit Ticker
Bookwormy
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I had a breast cancer scare a few years ago. I am Jewish w/a strong family history. I had genetic testing. Both the biopsy & the testing were negative, thank G-d. If the testing had been positive, with a newly weaned DD at home, chop 'em off. They served their ultimate purpose.
EireLass
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM

She's not the first actress to do this. Women alot younger than her have done this.

ejsmom4604
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

The part in red I will disagree with. That was my through process as I was leading up to getting a single masectomy. (Thankfully I am negative with the trait). I thought I could deal. I mean it's just a lump of fat right? Wrong. The body image issues that come along with it shocked the crap out of me. I thought I was "above" that. I wasn't. I can't get reconstruction due to lack of insurance so I have to walk around as the one boobed wonder mom. I joke now because it's my way of dealing, but that first year was super hard. I was depressed, I can admit that now. 

I can understand the preventative measures especially if the gene is present, however, it really shouldn't be looked at so dismissively. It is extreamly difficult to get through. And many women go through body image issues because of it. I still do, but am in a better place mentally where I can snap myself out of it. I'm grateful for that, but if there was a way to save it (like doing the CAT scan first, and I couldn't because I was pregnant at the time) I would have saved it. There are a lot tops and dresses I can't wear now. And as frivolous as that sounds, even a plain old t-shirt has to be a specific style or I can't wear it. 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Absolutely. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I was tested when I was younger. She came with me and I told her that if I came up positive the boobs were coming off. I was not going to even risk what she went through. Thankfully I was negative. Even now I would remove them. They are just breasts and not worth the pain and suffering.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

jlg12678
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely. Her doctors stated she had an 87% risk of getting breast cancer. Those odds are obviously not in her favor.

I would do the same, no questions asked.

simplysarahd
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Yes.  I'm getting a preventative hysterectomy in a year or two since uterine cancer runs in my family. Every female, ages 35 +, on my Mother's side of the family, for the last 4 generations has had uterine cancer.

If we had the same history of breast cancer, I would get a masectomy too.

petie1104
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I would IF I had an 87% chance of getting it. That's what her risk was 87% chance of getting breast cancer. Now, her risk is down to 5% because all that's led is the tissue under her arms. So yes, if I had her risk factors, definitely. I was just watching this story on the news and I understand why she did it. I have kids and my breasts aren't more important than me being around for them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: