Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer? Angelina Jolie did....

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer?

Options:

Yes

No

Not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 955

View Results

Angelina Jolie revealed she recently had a double mastectomy because she discovered she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

Would you do this if you thought it would lower your chances of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer? I wouldn't think it's still a guarantee.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy/2157403/

by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Replies (401-407):
CheriD343
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM

YES!!  Already did on May 13th, one week ago.

My mom died of breast cancer and her sister is a survivor.  I have been at high risk and was having screening every 6 months alternating between an MRI and a Mammogram.  I am 47 and cancer was found in my right breast during screening mammogram.  I opted for a bilateral masectomy.  After surgery, another aggresive cancer was found in the tissue of the right side as well as a mass on the left side that would likely have turned into cancer.  The Sentinal Lympth Nodes on my right side came back all clear!

I am very, very lucky and feel so good about my decision.  I am waiting results to see if I have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes.

Recovery is hard but I am so thankful to be alive!!  I plan to see my 8 year old son grow up!!

CheriD343
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Wanted to add that after haveing a bilateral masectomy, my chance of getting breast cancer has reduced to a 1 to 5% chance.  Much lower than for the average women.

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I would seriously consider the pros and cons.

Ladyisis
by Jenn on May. 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I am not sure, I would have to be in that position before I could decide. Thanks for sharing.

kbush1027
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM

See the risks are there no matter what. If we all did things because we MIGHT get something or because we MIGHT have something bad happen this world would be a sad and boring place. I'm not going to intentionally put myself under the knife because there is a CHANCE I might get cancer. I have had 3 people close to me suffer and die from cancer, it was a horrible expirience, but it couldn't have been changed. 

Quoting jamiebell:

See what would worry me is once you actually have cancer, who knows how long you've had it, if its spread and once you actually have it, things get MUCH more complicated. If i knew i had 87 percent chance of getting it, why not prevent it? Its like smoking, we know it causes.cancer so its a big reason smoking is frowned upon and why most people chose not to. Same with tanning beds. If i knew i actually carried that gene...hell yeah my boobies would be gone. I watched my best friend suffer and then die from cancer. NO way do i want that or do i want my family to see that. Yeah for medical advancement and early detection and genetic testing!!!

Quoting kbush1027:

No I would not. Just because there is a CHANCE I MIGHT get cancer. Now if I ended up with cancer oh HELL YES them puppies would be GONE! lol

beccasboys
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Four generations of women before me all had breast Cancer. At 30 I had a lump the size of a golfball removed from my right breast. Due to the economy and my husbands job change I no longer have health insurance. If I had insurance I would have the genetic test asap and if positive follow up with the double mastectomy. I cannot afford reconstruction, but I would still have them removed. I have 2 children, my 13 yr old is Autistic(severe at that) and will never be able to live on his own. My son is infinatly more important than my mammary glands !

flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I dunno, if I had the money that she does I wouldnt even hesistate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: