Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer? Angelina Jolie did....

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you have a double mastectomy if you even THOUGHT you would get cancer?

Options:

Yes

No

Not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 955

View Results

Angelina Jolie revealed she recently had a double mastectomy because she discovered she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

Would you do this if you thought it would lower your chances of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer? I wouldn't think it's still a guarantee.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy/2157403/

by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Replies (41-50):
JJones02
by New Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

My family has a history of breast cancer. I wouldn't do it unless it needed to be done.

Mommyzlovez
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM

When I was 26 they thought I had it and wanted to just"scoop and remake them" My mother had it at 29. Oneday if I have another close call I will have it done then. I mean its a long road to walk but a lot shorter than if one had full on cancer. So far since then (Ill be 30 in June) no close calls but am looking to have it done anyways by the time im 40 just to be sure. Nothing exstravigant, just my normal size. I know  a fine lady a dear and close friend who had it done only she opted not to have them rebuilt and she is just as much of a woman as she was when that first cancer cell was found. It's not for everyone and I am in no way saying all should go and do it, but for those of us that have this high marker its worth it in my book, I will at 35 get tested again as far as I know I do not have that marker and cant recall if my mom did, other than her she was the only woman in our family to get it, so its not quite the same as this actress that I know of. WOuld like to find out oneday though. Praying I never have to under go such.

LuvMyBrennaBean
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I think I would. If I could protect my family from what I've seen in my own family, or what I see others going through. Its a heart ache, and if I could keep my babies from experiencing that pain, I would. It's not completely foolproof, but its such a drastic drop that it would be totally worth it. 

fraujones
by Amanda on May. 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM

That's such a difficult decision. I don't know if I could. Did she get implants or some kind of reconstructive surgery afterward? 

WhenInRome
by New Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM
That's what I was thinking too.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Dos she have her ovaries removed.too? Because the gene increases the chance of cancer there too.

Idk, I think because it is angelina jolie I kind of wonder if it was partially for publicity... But I I guess thats a little insensitive.

wiener
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Yes I would, my friend just did this and for the same reason, she then got implants and nipples tattooed on lol
jeweldragons
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Nope.

baquick
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I'm honestly not sure. My mother was adopted and the only family history I have is her (absent father) and she had ovarian cancer. I suppose if I had the means and a great risk, I might, I'm really not sure. I would have to be in those shoes to know.
AtiFreeFalls
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I have seen some rad mastectomy tattoos.  Women who didn't have the money to pay for reconstruction and instead saved up for a seriously amazing tattoo where her breast(s) had been. 

I don't think I would hesitate to have my breasts removed to prevent cancer.  I would hope for reconstructive surgery, but if I couldn't afford it or if it were not an option because of the type of surgery I had, oh well.  I would be very sad because my breasts are important to me... I've nourished my two babies with them, they are a large part of my identity, but my life is an even larger part of my identity.

It's my understanding that that gene increases risks by a LOT.  Like... a lot a lot.  Like it's almost a guarantee.  I'd wait as long as I could, but I'd do it.  The ovaries too.

MandaRose83
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always thought she was a whack job and this shows me no different. No I would not have my breasts removed for a chance I could develop breast cancer. Is she going to remove everything else that comes up positive for a chance of cancer? Did she have her ovaries removed? liver? thyroid? I could go on and on. She's a moron.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: