Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Dressing for Sunny Celebrations and Graduations

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies

May is the beginning of many sunny celebrations. Soon, graduation and Memorial Day parties will begin, and personally, when it's time to switch to a warm weather wardrobe, I always feel a little lost at first. It becomes so easy, in fall and winter, and even still early spring here, to throw a sweater over anything and put on some cute boots, and that's your outfit. But spring and summer sunshine calls for some thought to pull together a fun, fresh new look so that you can relax in style while celebrating all that these wonderful months have to offer. Here are a few ideas to consider when reviewing your wardrobe and planning your outfits for all the fun times ahead:

-Have a few nice pairs of different colored open-toe shoes that will go with any outfit. Remember that high, sharp heels sink in the mud and grass, so if you're headed to a garden party, stick with flat soles or wedges. You'll be more comfortable too!

-Own a mix of a few bright, different patterned items, and several solid colored items, and you can mix and match these into a million combinations for any event. It can be as easy as a simple solid colored summer dress or suit topped with a bright, vibrant scarf. Or combine plain linen or cotton pants, shorts or a skirt with a colorful stripped or dotted or flowery top. Or vice versa, of course.

-Find yourself one or two sun hats. These will serve you really well on several fronts.  You will look effortlessly stylish even if you do not have time to do something nice with your hair, AND you won't need to worry about reapplying sunscreen on your face over your makeup at a party or event.

-Keep things light and airy. Avoid polyester, spandex or other synthetic materials, which make you sweat more because your skin can't breath through them. Stick to soft cotton, linen, and even light wool for those chilly evenings, and you'll be comfortable but still stylish.

What are you warm weather wardrobe must-haves?

© iStockphoto.com/ laflor

by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I am not afraid to say give me 20pairs of flipflops!! Lol
I need a couple of sundresses, baby powder (helps with sweatiness).
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I need a nice pair of casual shoes i can wear w/o socks like keds sneakers or something.   I use honey dust instead of baby powder for keeping me dry .

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 20, 2013 at 3:13 AM
I need a cute pair of red sandals
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Sandra on May. 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM

T -shirt and shorts.. and my birkenstock sandles.. thats about as "sandly" as it gets

wandep
by Pam on May. 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Capris, t-shirts, sandels, hats, and sunglasses.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on May. 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Eh. I wear jeans unless its over 85 and I'm working in the garden. I have a could of sundresses but besides church I rarely have occasion to wear them.
Threes.Company
by on May. 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I love that light blue dress with the belt in the pic! :)

Warm weather = Sundresses

I am a sundress girl.

chillemi78
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I am totally a summer dress girl. It just seems easier when its hot to throw on a dress than find a shirt and shorts or capris that match and are comfy. I can't do flip flops, not enough support for my old lady feet and ankles, so I just ordered myself 3 pairs of summer shoes.
mackiebugsmom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Me too...minus the dresses, lol

Quoting Hottmomma607:

I am not afraid to say give me 20pairs of flipflops!! Lol

I need a couple of sundresses, baby powder (helps with sweatiness).
mackiebugsmom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I don't ever wear dresses but I do love a cute summer dress, maybe once I lose weight I will get some :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)