Smarter Family: Summer Family Movie Guide

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Summertime. The weather is as yummy as that ice cream cone you're snacking on, and you and the kiddos are spending as many hours as you can outside. But, sometimes, on that too-hot day or when the rains are ruining some picnic plans, you may need to spend an afternoon inside. Gather the troops and head to the movie theater to catch one of these sure-to-please-everyone family movies. We've got the lowdown on what's hitting theaters this summer.   

Epic - May 24
From the same folks that brought you the Ice Age movies, you've the battle of Good versus Evil in a secret universe. The whole existence of the world at stake in this animated adventure as we follow a teenager, Mary Katherine, as she teams up with everyone from a leafman to a caterpillar to a toad. Oh, and, of course. there is a queen...voiced by whom else but Beyoncé.

Monsters University - June 21
The prequel to the now-classic hit Monsters Inc., those animation gurus at Pixar have decided to tell us the story of how Mike and Sulley became friends...appearantly, it wasn't an easy road to BFF-dom, but you bet it was a funny one.

Despicable Me 2 - July 3
What is Gru up to this time? He's actually on the side of the good guys! See how he - and his minions - help to save the world.

Turbo - July 19
A snail with superspeed powers, the voice of Ryan Reynolds, and a great message about never letting limitations keep you from your dreams...what more could we want in a summer movie from DreamWorks? Did we mention it is going to be a television series later this year? Yes, a happy dancing opportunity if we ever heard one.

The Smurfs 2 - July 31
Garagamel just doesn't give up and this time, he's not alone. He's created The Naughties, creatures akin to Smurfs, and the up-to-no-good group kidnaps Smurfette! How will the Smurfs get her back? Grab some popcorn and find out.

Which summer movies are your kids excited about? What about you?

¬©iStockphoto.com/ stphilips 

by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I want to see Monsters U & Despicable Me 2. I'll wait for the base to get them though. I don't pay full price for kid movies in theaters since other people's kids ruin it for me. :P

mamivon2
by Sandra on May. 20, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Im sure they are excited about all of them. Thank God for our 4dollar theather..

Juniper53098
by June on May. 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM

My kids want to see Monsters U and Iron Man 3.  We have a $3 theater locally.  But, my son has a hard time if there are a lot of people there, so we'll wait until they're not so busy or wait to rent them.

wandep
by Pam on May. 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Probably Smurfs 2. lol

mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Im so excited about Monsters University!!
mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM
My dd can't wait for Smurfs two :)
KimmyShaw
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Looking forward to Epic!

SweetLuci
by Luci on May. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

That's cool. We have a $5 Tuesday where they have first run movies, plus $2 popcorn and free soda. I love it!

Quoting mamivon2:

Im sure they are excited about all of them. Thank God for our 4dollar theather..

Mznaye
by Jo on May. 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Me too

Quoting KimmyShaw:

Looking forward to Epic!

Mznaye
by Jo on May. 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I want to see Monsters University and Despicable Me 2
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: