Group Home

Smarter You: What’s Your Beach Read?

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Okay, I perhaps titled this incorrectly because, really, how many of us are actually going to be on the beach reading this summer? Riiiiggghhhht. I'd love to be, but alas, not in the cards this year. I will, however, be turning pages (or flicking pages on my iPad) in between when the kiddos head off to bedtime after a full day of Camp Mommy and when I doze off after a full day of Camp Mommy.

You know me, I have my teetering pile of must-reads, but there is something about summertime and wanting to escape or become entranced with a fluffy or exciting or crazy world of a novel. What am I excited for this summer?

Inferno by Dan Brown - Who isn't jazzed to read the latest from the author of blockbusters The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and The Lost Symbol? Hero Robert Langdon is back...and so is the excitement, the thrills and the chills, and so are we.

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey - Though classified as young adult, this novel is for everyone. Aliens have invaded, and Cassie thinks she may be one of the last survivors on Earth...and then she meets Evan Walker. Science fiction, action-adventure and writing at its best.

No Place Like Home: A Memoir in 29 Apartments by Brooke Berman - We follow Brooke as she moves from college grad to adulthood...and moves in and out of 29 apartments chasing her dreams.

The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan - I know quite a few writer friends and mommy friends who have been awaiting this one. At the heart of it are relationships, specifically marriage -- the hows, the whys, the good and the bad. I am salivating at the thought of getting into these lives.

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer - Tracing what it means to have talent, how it is rewarded and defined, this critically-acclaimed novel is the coming of age story of six friends as they stumble and shape their lives. Ambition, envy, class, and more are explored...and I promise you won't be able to put it down.

Are you into any of these books? What do you like to read during the summer?

©iStockphoto.com/Hallgerd 

by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ladyisis
by Jenn on May. 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

The Interestings sounds like a book I would be interested in reading. I like to read all kinds of books during the summer. Thanks for sharing.

wandep
by Pam on May. 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Oh yeah I am reading something interesting....The Immune System Recovery Plan. Hoping it will help my immune system. :(

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on May. 21, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I will be reading on the beach since DS is finally swimming. :-) I usually read whatever is free on my Nook.

But I would like to read a couple of your books above: Inferno and The Interestings.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 21, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I dont really read.If I do its just magazines

mackiebugsmom
by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I'm reading The Dome right more but some of those books sound good.
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM
The Engagements and The Interestings sound good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Greta on May. 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I like to read when we go on vacation but haven't picked anything yet
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM
They sound good..I'm hoping we get to the beach this year..We went a couple months ago and it was nice..Didn't do alot of reading, we built a fort out of driftwood...
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM

some of these seem interesting.. I dont have a beach read because I dont usually have time to read at the beach, have to keep an eye on the kids and play and swim.. and well.. bake in the sun :)

Leelee1008
by Alicia on May. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

LOL I was going to say Um beach read??? yeah right not with a toddler running around

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie