Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Rainy Day Rescue

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

In the springtime, there can be many days when sunny plans are dampened or altogether cancelled by rain. Boo! There is nothing worse than a house full of kids who thought they would be enjoying Frisbee or baseball and burgers outside, but instead need to stay in and watch it pour. It feels like the weather this season (and last) has brought quite a bit of disappointment to our home, so I'm putting together a list of go-to ideas for impromptu indoor fun, and I would love to hear what your ideas are to add on too, please!

-Get some neighbors over and have a little party with board games and simple fun snacks like popsicles and pizza.

-Have a dance party.

-Create your own family game. I recently read a great idea, which is to make a Twister sort of game but with animal footprints instead of colors and shapes. So the kids get to pretend they are elephants or lions or lizards while playing Twister. I can see this being fun for all ages, too.

-Build a fort.

-Watch a movie and make some popcorn as an added treat.

-Paint a mural. Get some large paper and tape it up or roll it down to the ground and let the whole family go to town, with or without other friends.

-Play hide and seek or hide a toy and have your kids find it.

-Bake something. Kids love playing with dough, and who doesn't love cookies or bread or pizza? All you need are some very simple ingredients that you can probably find in your pantry. Get creative with them and see what delicious treat you can whip up together; time will fly by, I promise!

-Make playdoh. There are so many simple recipes online, and it's very quick and fun to make too.

-Create an indoor scavenger hunt. It takes just minutes and can lead to a full hour of fun!

If the kids are bouncing off the walls and you simply NEED to get out of the house to burn some steam, just go prepared and enjoy the rain. Find the biggest puddles and have a splash contest, or bundle yourselves up and head to a museum to do some indoor exploring of a new art or dinosaur exhibit.

What do you do with your kids on a dreary rainy day?

© iStockphoto.com/wholden

by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowerfunleah
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

On a rainy day dd and I like to play in this giant box, build forts, paint with water, and of course puddle jumping when it stops! 

momofsixangels
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I love to play out in the rain with the girls

wandep
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM

My kids are old enough now that they just play by themselves..they love their legos, electronics that sort of thing.

BeachMommy07
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

library!

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM

we just play out in the rain if its not storming. i love to play out in the rain. we dance on the back porch and let the rain just fall on us.

elasmimi
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Play in the rain, if it's warm enough. I love the abandon of letting the rain wash over me.

Flaca43
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We watch movies, play games, have a dance party! I am looking around for rain coats and rainboots to take the little ones out to play when it rains.

lil_mama06
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Since we also homeschool the younger ones (ages 10 and 6) we're always doing something. Yesterday we baked some bread, didn't think I would like the orange zest in it, but it was surprisingly good. They sorted out the beans while I cleaned up from the bread making. They put on "talent" shows for us..It's really neat when the 4 of them will sing a song together. And when Katie comes for a visit, I love how all 5 of them will sing..I miss the 6 of them singing most tho..And today we are going to learn to knit..Sarah (she's 6) is really excited about that. 

Madelaine
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

No rain here..just hot.  I would love it if it rained!

AzariahsMother
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Kind of depends. I enjoy talking walks in the rain, so sometimes DD and I will do that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)