Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Would You have Handled it?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 21 Replies

My son sees a Pediatric Allergist and I really like the dr. & staff with the exception of one nurse yesterday. The dr. wanted him to do a PFT test which he has a tube in his mouth and he has inhale/exhale. Well, my son is 6. It's a little confusing. He couldn't exhale completly and the nurse yelled at him!

She told him 'he was acting crazy' and 'your NOT listening'.

My son was upset by it and so was I. Imagine being 6 years old, being told you were acting crazy and not listening doing a test you don't understand. NOT professional.

So, I called the office this morning and the nurse personally called me back and I told her how upset my son was and how upset she made ME and she apologized and said she meant no harm. I told her she works in pediatrics, to have a little more compassion and that's NOT how you speak to children! Next time to be more professional...So she apologized again and that was it. ugh. I would NEVER in a million years speak to a patient like that. 

by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmybooskies
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Good for you for speaking up! I'm sorry she was rude, but glad she at least apologized. 

mom2jessnky
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I think you handled it well, and I would make sure that you just get a different nurse in the future.

BeachMommy07
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Thank you, and yes, I am.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I think you handled it well, and I would make sure that you just get a different nurse in the future.

lil_mama06
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I would of reported it to the Dr. I know my kids' peditrician wants to know if any of his nurses are rude in any way...I agree, get a different nurse next time. 

angieluvsolivia
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Glad you took up for your son.  Being a medical professional myself working in peds, that is unacceptable!

grandmotherof6
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

as a nurse, we do sometimes for get ourselves, this nurse maybe in the wrong field, she may not have the patient to work with children!!!

momofsixangels
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM

She was a witch!!! I have had to do this and it was hard enought for me. A 6 year old doesnt understand.She was rude and just plain mean

Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I personally would speak to the manager and I would never want to speak to that nurse again. I would not want her calling me on the phone with a pathetic apology or ever being in the room with me or my child again. I would want it noted in my childs record. Doctors rely on trust and she destroyed that by not being professional.

mamivon2
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Im surprised you waited that long..

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

im so sorry you and your son had to experience that. i am a nurse and had worked with some nurses like that. its a shame how they can treat you. im glad you got an apology and im glad you called the office so they will know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)