Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off!! Anxiety Attacks!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

I just read a post by another mom who suffers from anxiety and several others came forward and said they have it too or get it..

My question is..

If you get one or you feel one coming on.. How is the best way for others to help you.. Should bystanders step in and help or walk way, leave you, call 911... hold you.. stay with you.. talk to you... ??

by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crysiann
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I get panic attacks. I got my first one in December. I do not like to be touched. 911 is not necessary for me, I have been learning how to feel one coming on, and work through it on my own. Although, for some people, it may be necessary. I have not had one in a public place, except when I had my first one. It began in my car, I was paralyzed there for an hour. I eventually drove to the Dr. myself, not my best choice. I had another one on the way there, and it continued in the waiting room. I didnt even notice what others were doing, so, I dont feel like by standers need to do anything. I get embarrassed when it happens with my husband, I really wouldnt want a stranger to be close to me.

MichelleSw
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Let me rest. Just relaxing cures mine. I mostly only get uncotrollable ones at work. I wouldn't like someone hovering over me, but talking helps a lot. No 911. They will pass. 

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

i wouldnt want anyone touching me. talking to me ok. i try to do something to get my mind off of it. if i am at home my favorite thing to do is lay in front of my box fan and feel the air hitting on me. i no longer have them out in public. i also take klonopin twice a day to ward them off.

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I can feel it coming on. Usually I can step away and get myself calmed down. Most of my symptoms an outsider would not be able to notice unless I said something. Usually I just need to be left alone, maybe given a drink of water or talked to to get through the worse of it.

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM

That is one reason why I am scared to get my license, I would hate to have a panic attack in the car with my kids. I am starting to practice driving, with medication my anxiety and panic attacks are pretty well under control, but it still scares the crao out of me.  If I do drive, it will just be in town.

Quoting crysiann:

I get panic attacks. I got my first one in December. I do not like to be touched. 911 is not necessary for me, I have been learning how to feel one coming on, and work through it on my own. Although, for some people, it may be necessary. I have not had one in a public place, except when I had my first one. It began in my car, I was paralyzed there for an hour. I eventually drove to the Dr. myself, not my best choice. I had another one on the way there, and it continued in the waiting room. I didnt even notice what others were doing, so, I dont feel like by standers need to do anything. I get embarrassed when it happens with my husband, I really wouldnt want a stranger to be close to me.

angieluvsolivia
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

For me, I just need to remove myself from the situation and calm down myself.  I don't want to be bothered or to have to explain to anyone what's going on.  It passes eventually.

Hannahsmommy816
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM

i take deep breaths to calm down if i have one

MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I get them.

And my husband knows just to get me something to drink quickly ajd a wet cloth.
momofsixangels
by on May. 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I have to be around someone when I feel one coming on and sometimes I dont even know one is coming. I get so scared I am going to die. I have called 911  in the past and gone to the hospital. They are very real and very scary.I have had them in public. I have had to run out of stores

BeachMommy07
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Let me rest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)