Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i was surprised they said no!

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 57 Replies

my children are having a joint b-day party this summer.  many of my daughter's friends have younger brothers that have become my sons friends.  they want a big party (it'll be their only joint one) & instead of getting presents for themselves they want to collect books to donate. 

i recently found out there is a organization that recently bought an old apartment complex (3 brick buildings with about 20 apartments) that they have turned into transitional housing for homeless woman & their children.  they have a playground for the kids, free laundry, & a community center.  they help the woman get on their feet, finding them jobs, getting their ged's if needed.  i contacted them about donating the books my children collect at their party to their community center.  i was shocked when they said no, "they didn't need such items".  really?  these are homeless children that don't have much, if anything, of their own & the organization says they can't use children books.  ok!

by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Im surprised too. Mdds' school is collecting books right now for homeless children. I cant berlieve they you no. Weird

mom2jessnky
by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm surprised too... and a little disappointed in them. Reading is SO important and poor kids sadly are the ones that usually get the least of it. :(

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Wow really???? I am shocked they don't want free books !!!

proudmommy690
by Christa on May. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Thats crazy.
EbonySnow
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM

you'd think they'd want anything they could get

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

i agree!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I'm surprised too... and a little disappointed in them. Reading is SO important and poor kids sadly are the ones that usually get the least of it. :(

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Wow that sucks for those poor kids. Reading is a great way to escape a crappy situation if only for a little while.

Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Wow that's shocking why wouldn't they want them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

so true!  that's why i read so much as a child!  it's sad that a group that is doing so much to help these families get back on their feet turn away something as wonderful as books.

Quoting deadlights86:

Wow that sucks for those poor kids. Reading is a great way to escape a crappy situation if only for a little while.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM

i know they take donations of household items, clothes, food, etc.  anything that they don't need at the moment they sell in their thrift store from which all the profits go back into the group.  so why they wouldn't accept the books, even if it was just to sell at the thrift store i'm clueless to.

Quoting EbonySnow:

you'd think they'd want anything they could get

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN