Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: Delicious Deserts

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

Summer starts this week, and it's going to be delicious in so many ways, not the least of which is all the awesome fresh local fruit growing everywhere. When the weather and the grills get hot, there are very few things yummier to me than something sweet, fresh and fruity for desert. Here are just a few of my favorite, simple ways to serve up a special summer surprise:

1) Make a pie! Any fruit can be used for pie, from apples to berries, plums or apricots. You can make a simple pie using store bought crust, or make your own crust following any easy recipe and get creative with the way you decorate the top. Use bits of extra pie dough to lattice the top, or cut out shapes with cookie cutters like flowers or stars, for example, and arrange on top of the fruit. It will look beautiful when cooked and taste amazing too. For an extra crunch, sprinkle some brown sugar on top as well; or dust with white confectioner sugar and decorate with edible flowers. Pies are delicious hot or room temperature, and I always love when there is fresh whipped cream or ice cream on the side.

2) Make a cobber. Just chop the fruit, mix with sugar and a bit of cornstarch, and make a crumble out of butter and sugar on top. Bake and serve hot with ice cream. Yum!

3) Grill your fruit! We love any grilled stone fruit like peaches, nectarines, plum or apricots. Pineapple is also juicy and delicious, and adds a tropical note to any hot celebration too. Simply cut the fruit in halves or quarters, or thick slices, and toss them on the hot grill just a couple of minutes per side. Or, get fancy and make smaller, more elegant slices that you can skewer and grill, then serve with some fresh mint or basil leaves. I also like to sometimes add fresh basil or mint to my whipped cream when serving it with fruit. It adds a whole new layer of sophisticated, summery flavor that most people love.

4) Make popsicles with your kids. Just let them squeeze and or mush up any fruit, from citrus to melon or whatever you have on hand. This is a great way to use up over-ripe fruit that's not pretty enough to serve fresh anymore, or any fruit you have too much of, which can happen in summer sometimes! Add a little water (with some sugar dissolved in it if you're doing lemons or limes), pour into Popsicle holders, freeze and enjoy. You could also make ice cream with any fruit if you have an ice-cream maker. It's really fun to get creative with new flavors using any fruit you love. Enjoy!

What are your favorite fruity summer deserts?

© iStockphoto.com/GeorgePeters

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Today at 12:26 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Looks yummy :)

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds great !
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I can't wait to have some delicious ripe strawberries and hopefully make a pie with some! I have already given the kids some popsicles already and have more in the freezer for the week. I would love to try some pineapple on the grill...mmmm!

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM
i love dump cake !! just take any fruit filling and a can of crushed pinapple and mix it together pour it in a pan , take a box of cake mix - butter or yellow mix and pour it all over the fruit mix in the pan , take and cut up butter in squares and cover the cake mix in butter and then bake until top is golden ! serve with ice cream or without !!
LifeCafe42
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM
We aren't really dessert people but we love fruit after a meal kind of as a dessert
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I love Pioneer Woman's Blackberry Cheesecake. I've made it for birthdays.

From http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/07/blackberry-cheesecake/:

Blackberry Cheesecake

Prep Time:

Cook Time:

Difficulty:
 Easy

Servings:

Ingredients

•  Crust
  • 1 box Vanilla Wafers
  • 1/2 cup Pecans
  • 1 stick 1/2 Cup Butter, Melted
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
  •  Filling
  • 3 packages 8 Ounce Cream Cheese
  • 1-1/2 cup Sugar
  • 4 whole Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Sour Cream
  •  Topping
  • 2 cups Blackberries
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Water

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place vanilla wafers and pecans into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture becomes crumbs. Add melted butter and vanilla and pulse again until combined. Pour into a 10-inch springform pan and press crumbs into the bottom of the pan. (If they come up the sides, that's okay!)

For the filling, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add sour cream and mix again. Pour mixture into crust, smooth the top, and bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes. Turn off oven and open door and allow to sit in the oven with the door opened for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.

For the topping, add blackberries, sugar, and water to a saucepan or skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Pour blackberries over the cheesecake and place pan into the fridge to cool and set for at least 2 hours---several hours is better.

When ready to serve, remove rim around pan and slice into 16 pieces with a long serrated knife.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I just made this strawberry rhubarb pie yesterday... We love summer fruit and desserts!
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

love yogurt parfaits with fresh fruit, cobblers & fruit pops,

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Cheesecake
critter_boo
by Sarah on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Homemade fudgecicle
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN