Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Warm Weather Indulgences

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

While many of the wonderful things spring and summer bring can be enjoyed very cheaply (or free! Sunshine anyone?), there are also a few key items that it's better to splurge on if you can swing it. Sometimes, this might mean waiting a while or saving up a bit so that you can afford it, but it can definitely be worth it in the end. If you can buy the high quality item, it will last you much longer and serve you better, and in fact can save a bundle in the long run because really well-made things should last forever, and often come with solid guarantees in case they don't. Here's my list of spring and summer recommendations for quality over quantity:

1) Beach umbrellas or any sun umbrella for your deck or patio. This is an important item, for the health and comfort of your whole family, and one that you will get much use out of. And this is a case where you could go cheap or you could spend a whole lot more. But you will get what you pair for, trust me. (As the mother of a very fair child, I know from experience! And BTW, this is also applies rain umbrellas.)

2) Patio furniture. Shop carefully when buying these large items because you can actually pay a lot for poor quality here. Pay attention to how things were made, make sure you sit on them (or have your kids even bounce on them if you can). You don't want to make this kind of large purchase often so do your research, chose wisely, and save up to buy the best quality you can afford (I feel like I've been saving for up years for this. Ha!)

3) Camping tent. Cheap tents will tear, zippers will break, they will be heavier, more cumbersome, have fewer features (thank goodness for mosquito nets and sky lights and rain flaps!) and generally be a whole lot less fun, less comfortable and more work. Who needs that when you're already roughing it, right ladies? Go to a serious camping gear store, or find one online, and get a name brand you know you can rely on. You won't regret it!

Which warm weather items do you splurge on, or wish you could?

© iStockphoto.com/ kropic

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momkaribg
by Kari on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:18 AM
I need a new umbrella for my patio table.
childofgod04
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I wish I could splurge on a whole patio set complete with furniture, umbrella, and swing. Unfortunately I don't have the money and really don't have the space here. We do have a table and chairs set out on our patio but we haven't sat out there the whole time we've lived here.
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with all three of the above, and for us we usually work towards one big purchase at a time... Last year it was furniture for the deck, and this year I'm hoping we can get an umbrella.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I want better patio furniture.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM

i would love to take the kids camping.  hubby wouldn't go for it though & i'm not very keen on taking the kids on my own.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

A patio set if we had a house!

Juniper53098
by June on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I need a table for our deck up north.  I just bought a new tent.  It was cheap, but it had great reviews.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish we could get one of those big home type water park play land things !!

wandep
by Pam on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I bought some plastic chairs for the front yard.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I am considering buying a new umbrella for my patio table. The old one was damaged in a storm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)