Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't understand Thank-You Notes

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 117 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just don't understand them.  

For my high school graduation, people sent me cards with money or gifts and I did not open those gifts around those people so I sent Thank You cards.

For my baby shower, people gave me gifts.  I opened those gift in front of those people, LOOKED THEM IN THE EYE and said thank you (even thanked them profusely throughout the party), but still had to send a Thank-You card.

Christmas and birthdays, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't?  Mostly for old people?  It has always been my belief that Thank-You cards should be used when real, heart felt "thank yous" are not possible.  Apparently I was wrong because my mother (who is not a nice person anyway) was livid when she did not get a Thank You card from me after she gave me a gift when she came to visit me in the hospital after my children were born.  1)  I LOOKED HER IN THE EYE and THANKED HER 2)  I HUGGED HER while thanking her 3) I thanked her profusely and 4) I just had a baby and was busy!

What are YOUR thoughts about Thank You cards?  As you can tell, I think they are OVER DONE!!!

by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsbrand
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I love receiving them, it means someone put a bit of effort into letting me know what I did was appreciated when they didn't have to, but I never worry if I don't get one. Life happens and sometimes we don't always get to stuff we wanted to. I tend to assume people are thankful for receiving gifts.

eta: The best is when I see the gift in use, that always makes me feel great too.
Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I love thank you cards...I try to give them out as soon as possible.

Unfortunately I think the whole idea of getting any kind of card much less a thank you card is disappearing with the new age of computers....these days you just get a virtual card that goes to everyone saying thank you....doesnt feel so personal.

ballerina.2006
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:36 PM
3 moms liked this
I hate writing them but I understand the importance of being thanked on a personal level like that. I thanked everyone at my baby shower but I'm still handing out thank you cards. I can write a more personal message in a card than I can express with words and especially around others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Like you, I am a bit confused at times.  Back in my day, when peopel came to your birthday party and gave you gifts, you thanked them for the gift and for coming.  End of story.  Same with baby showers.  Weddings were usually a "thank you card" event since the couples most often opened the gifts at a gift opening party with just their family after the honeymoon.

Now, peopel are insulted or offended if a child doesn't send a thank you card to everyone who came to the party.  Like you, I thought thank yous were made perfectly clear at the event.

OliviaW.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I still send thank you cards even if I thank the person. My in-laws are very picky and want to have a card within no later than 2 weeks.
deedee3849
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

For gifts, I think they are overkill especially when you have thanked a person already but I send them anyways to appease those that love them like my grandma. I also could care less if I ever receive another one in my life. A verbal thank you is FINE with me.

I am a BIG fan of sending thank-you's for other things though. Such as thank you notes to teachers, coworkers etc for things I appreciate about them. I also love to receive those kind of thank you's. 

cookiemonster77
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I wish people would just cal to thank me. I'd rather talk to them anyways. 

plus I feel like an a**hole when I get one and realize I never send them out. I'm busy and disorganized. I wouldn't even know where to find most people's addresses. 

anotherandree
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Dear God, this how my family is!  We lived in England when I was pregnant with my first, but I flew home for my family's shower.  The mail was slow so it took 3 weeks for my family to get their Thank-You cards and I was 1) getting NASTY calls and emails or 2) the cold shoulder from EXACTLY the 2 week mark.  I decided NEVER AGAIN.  I was PISSED!

Quoting OliviaW.:

I still send thank you cards even if I thank the person. My in-laws are very picky and want to have a card within no later than 2 weeks.

anotherandree
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

This is me.  You thanked me.  I thanked you.  Let's call it even, okay?

Quoting cookiemonster77:

I wish people would just cal to thank me. I'd rather talk to them anyways. 

plus I feel like an a**hole when I get one and realize I never send them out. I'm busy and disorganized. I wouldn't even know where to find most people's addresses. 

JasonsMom2007
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Hubbys grandparents called his dad complaining they didn't get a thank you card from us the day we got the gift from them in the mail. Well of course you didn't it's not humanly possible to get it there that fast.

Quoting OliviaW.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)