Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: Father’s Day Gifts He'll Love...Really!

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

Dad. Father. Daddy. Papa. Popsee. Whatever you call him, he's a pretty important guy...and his holiday is coming up fast...like this weekend (I know, it snuck up on me too)! But what to get him to let him know just how much you love him? Well, no gift will ever do that, but we've got a few ideas that he will enjoy and make him smile, which we want him to do, right? Let's get beyond the tie, forgo the golf shirt and bypass that "I [heart] the grill" apron...check these option out. 

How many times has he worn that Syracuse shirt? Right, you lost count back in 2002. Gather all of those too-worn favorite tees and make them into an amazing, one-of-a-kind pillow he can snuggle with every day. This gift is great for everyone really, as you won't ever have to nag him about that hole-y White Sox shirt again.

Perfect for the Star Wars-loving dad, this little book is a hilarious look if Darth Vader had been around while Luke was growing up (think teaching baseball basics with a light saber). A cute gift that he can actually have sitting on his desk in the office.  

Dad travels a lot, and his car is a bit like his other home. Make sure he's safe when he's in that abode with four wheels with a safety car kit. You can make your own via the instuctrutions on Holidash or simply grab a premade bag and have the kids make a little sign you affix on the front. Fill it with goodies like tire gauge, first aid stuff, light sticks, mini flashlight, seatbelt cutter, and so on. A fabulous yet useful gift that you hope he won't have to use.

Make your own "Best.Dad.Ever." mug with the how-tos over at DesignMom. The short info: grab some white mugs and porcelain pens, do a design, bake it and - bam! - your own personalized, one-of-a-kind mug for his morning cup o' joe. Easy and fun for the kids to do with some help via you.

To inspire him, to remind him how awesome he is, this engraved wood plaque from EngraveDotin on Etsy is a great choice for any dad who is working hard at his passion. With the quote from Theodore Roosevelt's 1910 speech at the Sorbonne in Paris -- "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - he can look on it and be reminded of how proud you are of him and how much you love him.

What are you doing for the dads in your life this weekend? 

©iStockphoto.com/marekuliasz 

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
powow65
by kimmy on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:27 AM
Tyvm for the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
childofgod04
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:48 AM
I made a photo book for him of him and our son but it probably won't get here in time. I'm going to do the salt dough hand/footprints of our sons hands of feet so he has something for the actual day.
Juniper53098
by June on Jun. 10, 2013 at 6:55 AM

We'll be on vacation, so I'm not sure what we'll do, yet.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM
We already gave DH his Father's Day gift: a baseball glove so he can play catch and continue to help with coaching tball. He really liked it.

I'll probably make him a strawberry rhubarb pie this weekend, since it's his favorite and that stuff is in season.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Miller lite jammy pants lol. It's what the kids picked.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM

my son got him a wolverine t-shirt & my daughter got him pickle chip clips (he loves chips & hates pickles so she thought it was a perfect gift for him ;o)  we'll go out to dinner at his favorite mexican restaurant.  unfortunately he has to work till 4 on the weekends so the he won't get to spend the whole day with the kids.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM

i like the pillow idea, not something my husband would get into but a good idea for a gift in general.  i could making one for granma with something from each of the grandkids.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Loving the last one! Thanks!

mom2jessnky
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My husband wouldn't like any of that stuff... :-/

I get my dads giftcards.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Cute ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)