You may have noticed that one of the big fashion trends this season is wearing white. I'm seeing white skirts, shirts, pants, shorts and even sunglasses everywhere around me. And of course, as the mom of a young child who loves to finger paint and dig in the dirt, and a dog owner (puppy, actually), who loves dirt even more, if that's at all possible, the thought of wearing white and keeping it looking white and clean and pretty is daunting.
Here are a few of easy, ow-stress methods to keep your whites looking super bright and hip this summer.
1) If you get a stain, remove the item right away and run it under super hot water. Most of the stain will disappear instantly, but in addition, grab some DISH SOAP and rub it on. You can let it soak in a few minutes then run under hot water again. Ta da! It's like magic.
2) Keep a Shout wipe or two in your purse for moments when you might need to clean a spill but cannot remove and wash the item right away, like at a BBQ.
3) When you run your wash for whites, use the hottest water you can and toss in 1/8 cup of baking soda with your detergent. Not only does it remove stains, it removes odors and softens fabrics naturally.
4) Borax is another wonderful stain and odor removed. It will enhance the brightness and cleanliness of your whites as well when you add it to your washing machine.
5) Bleach is of course always an option. I really hate the smell, personally, but you can find scented bleach too. The problem here is that bleach is harsh on fabrics and wears through them. But it does get the job done, in a pinch.
How do you keep your whites looking bright and fresh?