Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Fabulous Farmers' Markets

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

When you shop at a farmers' market, you are doing a lot of good: You are supporting locals in your community; you are helping those locals keep your own food really, really fresh and delicious; you are helping to save the environment by reducing fuel consumption of shipping your foods from far away to your local chain super market; you are helping to keep your local environment greener and healthier for your family and those around you by sustaining farms; you are buying the freshest and healthiest food possible for your family. It's really a win-win-win scenario. I love farmers' markets because all the food is so fresh. Sure, you need to scrub a little to get those carrots dirt-free, and you need to rinse your lettuce a few times to remove any grit and ladybugs before eating, but it's totally worth it and the flavors are so much better, too. Have you ever eaten a carrot from a farmers' market and then one of those baby carrots from a bag from the supermarket right after? Try it sometime. You'll see that the baby carrot tastes pretty bland after that fresh one right from the earth. Here are some of my favorite farmers' market finds at the moment:

Assorted leafy greens like dandelion, arugula, kale, chard, sorrel. You can use these as salads, or as a sautéed side veggie with garlic and oil, or get creative and make a pesto for pasta even.

Root veggies such as carrots, turnips, parsnips, onions, garlic and beets- Great roasted simply in the same pan as some chicken or chops, or chopped and tossed into a soup on a rainy day, or just raw as a snack or salad or slaw.

Fresh herbs like basil, mint, oregano and thyme- These add amazing flavor to almost any dish. I love making tea with mint as well. Just boil water, toss in a nice handful of torn leaves, cover and let steep about 7-8 minutes until water is bright green and enjoy hot or chilled. Delicious, refreshing and also great for you.

Homemade berry jams (yum!) I love these on toast for breakfast or use them to make jam cookies.

All that fresh fruit! Who can resist their sweet, juicy, refreshing goodness?

Tomatoes! We eat these every day, mostly raw in our salads but of course they are great in sauce too, especially with some spaghetti!

Flowers. These are just so bright and beautiful. I always want to bring home a large bunch and have to restrain myself.

Do you like to shop at farmers' markets? What are your current favorite finds?

© iStockphoto.com/VallarieE

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We love our farmers market. The current favorite is white asparagus which tastes richer and the kids are addicted to it. I also love these seed bars a local woman makes with her own honey she gets from her hives. I am addicted to them.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I love farmer's market! Our local crops were pretty much wiped out. Cherries, apricots.
bwsmommy
Lost my Aunt this week and a dear friend to cancer - a loving mom of two .. life just isnt all its cracked up to be ...
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

i only wish we had farmers markets like this !! ours just has the main things like tomatoes , potatoes , onions ect .. no fresh herbs or leafy greens =( ..

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
love ours it has gluten free bread, peaches and lots of veggies
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

We love farmers markets!  We prefer to shop at them as opposed to the grocery store.

momkaribg
by Kari on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I love the farmers market.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I love shopping at farmer's market. 

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I like to go the farmers market.  I like to buy strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon.

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

We have alot of all year around farmers markets in our area.  

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I love our farmers market
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)