Group Home

Smarter Family: Summer Movie Night Ideas

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Couch? Check! Popcorn? Check! Snuggle blankets? Check! Yup, this is part of our list for our family movie nights in our abode. I love family movie night. At the end of a day of running around, maybe hitting the pool, after showers, freshly cleaned, clad in pajamas, we gather and chill out with a flick, possibly with the sun still peeking over the horizon. It's a great way to calm down and reconnect.

The cool thing about family movie night in the hot weather days? You can jazz it up a bit. Forget the time of day. With no school to run off to, why not have family movie morning on a Tuesday? This is one perk of the summer, you can do almost anything on any day at any time. We love to change the locale too. We pile onto our big bed and watch a movie on the iPad. If you have a pull-out couch, pull that bed out and plop onto it for a fun change or just put a bunch of blankets on the floor and have an indoor picnic "drive-in" movie.

And what to watch? Of course, the Disney films and the Pixar blockbusters are favorites (we can watch How To Train Your Dragon over and over again til the cows come home), but here are some other ideas, some especially good ones for those hard-to-please tweens:

Princess Bride

ET

The Goonies

Akeelah and The Bee

Spirited Away

Musicals like Singin' in the Rain, Annie, and My Fair Lady

Little Manhattan

The School of Rock

Take The Lead

Share what you do for family movie nights!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Saw

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I love the 1st 3! And DH too! But our kids think old movies are corny! LOL

We love movies in the house or at theater! Or Drive-in!

MommieCotter42
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

We pull all our blankets out and bring our pillows doing and put a movie in. My dd loves movie nights because she can sleep down stairs. Our movie nights double as sleep overs. Lately the only movie my little one wants to watch is Tinkerbell or Cinderella.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM

we dont have a regular movie night tradition yet

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Love Comes Softly series,Dallas series,Little House on the Prarie,Gnomeo and Juliet,CSI..

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Last night we watched Hercules, which despite being SOOOO wrong from a historical/mythological standpoint is my favorite Disney movie.

mereinhart28
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:58 AM

love most of those movies!

every Sat night we "camp out" in the living room and watch a movie together as a family :)

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

We all love The Wizard of Oz 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM
We make popcorn in the Whirly Pop, and often we eat pizza for dinner. Most recently we've enjoyed animal movies like Homeward Bound and Air Bud.
fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

We like to get take out Thai and watch movies. We just watched Rise of the Guardians. It was cute. 

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
We watch Harry Potter a lot as a family
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky