Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: A Few Sunscreen Reminders

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies

Tank tops. Shorts. Sundresses. What else are you and your kids donning in the mornings? Right, it's summer, more heat, less clothing...which means more exposure to those harmful rays. Standing in front of all of those bottles of sunscreen, well, it can be rather daunting. The numbers, the different claims...what's best for your skin and that skin of your kiddos? Here's a mini round-up of some guidelines to think about as we head into sunscreen season!

-- Reapply....do it!! Reapply more often than you think you need to. You have to reapply every two hours, even if you haven't gotten wet. And though the bottle may say water-resistant, that doesn't mean waterproof. Sweat, pool water, sprinkler drops all wash away that coat of lotion. Add in some towel-drying-off, and you've completely removed anything you may have applied just an hour ago.

-- Give it time to soak in. This means applying before you are at the pool or beach. Good rule of thumb? Do it at home, before you head out the door.

-- What's a good number? At least 30 some docs say, while others go for 60. Whatever number you use, the same rules apply in terms of applying every two hours and more so when in the water.

-- The rays don't need sun. Even in cloudy weather, you can get skin damage. Those UV rays go through anything...they are stealth, you can't see them, folks. So when your shoulders are exposed with that strapless maxi dress, you are exposing them to UV rays, even when it's overcast.

-- Put on enough to cover your body. Really. Start at the top of your body and work your way down. And, yes, you may go through more than one bottle a season, maybe even two. If you are using the same bottle as last year, you definitely need to use more (and toss that old one - sunscreen does expire).

-- Think beyond the bottle for protection. You and your kids need hats, light layers, and sunglasses to truly protect your skin and keep it healthy. Beach umbrellas and shady areas are your friends, my friends!

What kind of sunscreen do you like? What number do you use -- 30? 40? 60?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ ewg3D

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I prefer Coppertone Sport SPF 30. It is far less greasy than any other sunscreen I've ever used, and that's great for when I'm using my wheelchair.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I use 15 in some places & 30 in others.
Alwyas more on my face :)

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I just bought a Hawaiian Tropic 30 SPF. So far it's not bad. We have to be really careful with the sun as we live a mile above sea level; the sun is incredibly intense. We all wear transitions lens so sunglasses are a no brainier. The girl and I have to get better about hats but the boys all wear them. 

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I use HawaiianTropic SPF30. Thanks for sharing.

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I use SPF 50, we are very fair skinned.  I like Alba sunscreen.

mom2jessnky
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:10 AM

I like Coppertone Sport, the kind you can just spray all over and go on your merry way. It's SPF 50. Kids also wear sunglasses outdoors, I do too.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I have SPF 110
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM

We live in Florida, so we're very careful about sunscreen, weat it every day.

wandep
by Pam on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Doesn't usually matter with the brand as long as its water proof and usually about 60 for the number. The kids and I burn really badly. :(

Juniper53098
by June on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I only use sunscreen when we'll be out all day.  Most people in the US are now vitamin D deficient.  This is largely because of sunscreen overusage.  Sunshine is HEALTHY.  We do stay out of the sun between 10 and 2, for the most part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN