Smarter Style: Sport the Nautical Look

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

Summer and water go together like...well, like the best of things. Nautical themes are always a sure-fire way to create a fun, summery look, be it with your own clothing, your kids' style, or even your home or patio decor. Here are a few tips to set sail to your nautical style this season.

1) For your look: Go with simple, classic colors in linen or cotton. A white or navy bottom always pairs nicely with a stripped boat shirt, tank, or blouse. Add bright colored sandals in red, or stick with classic espadrilles, wedges or boat shoes. Sneakers like keds or converse look great too, when sporting this look. Aviator shades, some bright watermelon or strawberry red polish or lipstick, a large canvass tote, and a classy sun hat complete the style.

2) For the kids: Kids look cute in almost anything, let's face it. But dressing them up sailor-style is pretty adorable if you have a reason for it! Jeans or a jean skirt pair nicely with a sailor top, or simple polo shirt. Chino shorts or preppy Bermudas also work perfectly. Try a colorful bandana or straw hat to protect them from the sun, if you cannot find the real deal captain's hat. And look for a cute preppy belt or consider making one with a simple piece of rope to tie the whole look together.

3) For the patio party: Blues, whites and reds are the colors mostly used. You can decorate a table with a large blue cloth, then use simple red or navy plates and fold your napkins on top to look like sails. I love either plain white or stripped. Both remind me of boats on a beautiful day. If that's tricky, or if they might blow over, get some simple white nautical robe and make boat ties around the napkins with a simple sailor knot. You can also use this rope to decorate around vases or tie bouquets or balloons for an extra festive flair. To continue the theme through the meal, you can use toothpicks to make little sailing-flag inspired nametags, and you can do the same with straws to serve with drinks. You can use wooden spoons that look like paddles when serving dips, and arrange your cupcakes or a platter of fruit into a fun fish or life-saver shape, for example. Craft stores sell seashells by the bagful, and these can be used as added beachy decorations around your table or place settings, or placed in large glass hurricane lanterns that hold candles.

Do you ever go for a nautical look? How do you create it?

© iStockphoto.com/ chrisbrignell

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:10 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Not for me :)

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I have alwaysoved a great boat look!
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
always loved
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Not my style...
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I don't really own anything in this style, although I think it can be really cute!
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don't like this look.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

One of my guest bedrooms is Nautical inspired.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm actually dressed somewhat nautical today. White capris with a navy striped top.
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

nope..

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Our dining room is nautical

Quoting ceciliam:

One of my guest bedrooms is Nautical inspired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: