Group Home

Smarter Family: Game On!

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

Spending quality family time is top of every mom's list. But sometimes, when you get together, no one can seem to agree on what to do, and chaos ensues. I like having some tricks up my sleeve to ensure a fun family day rain or shine, anytime. Here are some new ideas to consider trying:

· Hide a toy. You can either make teams and take turns hiding and seeking, or to make it more intense, each team or person picks a different room and toy, and hides it at the same time, and then make it a race to see who finds the other's hidden toy faster. The person who wins might get to pick what's for dinner, or what movie to watch, perhaps.

· Secretely switch things around. One person secretly changes something in the room while the others are not looking. Like turning a photo upside down, or moving the rug, or switching small things on a shelf. The first person to guess what was changed gets to the be secret switcher next.

· Build something. Dig through your recycle bin and make something cool together, like a rocket ship out of on old box and be astronauts or aliens together, or make a pirate ship and seek a treasure, or build an instrument from toilet paper rollers. Coming up with creative ideas and working together to make an interesting and unique new toy or instrument is always fun for everyone.

· Create an obstacle course. This is always fun for kids. Let them help you design it and see how creative you can all get with using regular household items, like chairs and brooms, trash bins and baby gates, to build an exciting course.

Some other tried and true options I always forget about that kids love are musical chairs, twister, and charades. My own all-time childhood favorite was "Marco Polo," but then again we lived somewhere really hot and had a pool, which is not at all the case now for my kid, unfortunately.

What are your favorite family games?

© iStockphoto.com/trait2lumiere

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Yahtzee

Monopoly Disney Pixar

Scrabble

Life

Kinect games

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the game of switching something around. Sounds like fun! My family loves monopoly

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM

We like to play XBox Kinect, as well as board and card games: War, Yahtzee, Trouble...

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I sing a song and she needs to do what I say. Kind of like a Simon Says.  She learned her body parts this way and enjoys wiggling, and dancing around too. 

fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I Spy

Monopoly

Mznaye
by Jo on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We don't play games
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

great suggestions!

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

We like to play Uno Attack, Yahtzee, Life, Monopoly, Xbox 360 games for indoor games. For outdoor games, we like to play tag, freeze tag, hide n seek, kickball, baseball, etc.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

We love candyland!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Great ideas!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie