Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Awesome Wedding Gift Ideas

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

There was a time, a stretch of about five years, when it seemed we had a wedding every summer. And a few of those years, we had a wedding in the fall and winter too. Yup, I've been to a lot of weddings. Big weddings, small weddings...they all had one thing in common (beyond the vows and ring exchange and aroma of love in the air): we bought them a gift. Now, I've professed that I am a perpetual timewaster when it comes to searching for gifts. I could spend days thinking about, looking for, pondering the right gift for someone. After attending all of those weddings, giving all of those gifts, I did hone my wedding gift giving skills a (teeny-weeny) bit. Here are a few of my favorite gifts to give:

Artwork - Something to decorate that new home as they kickoff their lives together, a new piece of art can be the perfect gift. So many places offer affordable yet chic options to choose from, like this personalized framed burlap piece over at Etsy, as well as the selection on society6.com, which has everything from stretched canvas prints to awesome typography items like this one about where home is (hint, wherever they are together).

Experiences - If the couple loves going to museums, get them a membership at their city's museum. Call up one of their favorite restaurants and give them a gift certificate for a few date nights. Wrap up a bottle of champagne and some glasses that they can only use on their first anniversary. Much more appreciated than that platter they will only use at Christmas time.

Boring useful stuff - Now, this is for those couples first starting out and it may seem super-not-exciting but, trust me, they will thank you later. Get some basic essentials that keep them and their precious stuff safe. Think a kitchen fire extinguisher, a carbon monoxide detector, a waterproof/fireproof document box to store that marriage license in...all great things they need and may not think to get.

What was the last wedding gift you gave someone?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Angela_a

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I always give fancy serving dishes. It's something I treasure that was given to me.
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I haven't been to a wedding in a while...I usually go off of their wedding registry.

ChloeDolce1
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:28 AM
I only do gifts ( like an actual item) for the shower. For the wedding gift itself we always give money.
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I don't remember.

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by Pam on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM

No clue. LOL I guess my brother's wedding 2 yeas ago. Gave them their china pieces.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM
A crockpot and recipe book...MY essential item...
LifeCafe42
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I go through the registry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Money! 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I can't remember, but I guarantee it was from the registry. I think people create registries for a reason, and it's all stuff they need... We were so thankful for the gifts we received that were things we really needed. I want to do the same for other couples just starting out.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Havent been to a wedding since my own

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN