Smarter Style: What to Wear – The Wedding Edition

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

I know they have to do the planning and that whole starting your life together thing, but really, at a wedding, the bride and groom have it easy. They already know what they are wearing to the big event. White dress, tux (or snazzy suit). We guests on the other hand are stuck figuring out what to don as we celebrate their nuptials. Okay, not the most pressing issue, I give you this, but still, depending on the time of day, the location, the level of fanciness, well, you may be stumped as what's appropriate.

I'm a big believer of purchasing items for my wardrobe that can be worn again - really, buying a dress for just once occasion is a waste of moolah and my time (one exception: my wedding dress). So, ir rounded up ideas on what to wear to those weddings you may have coming up, keeping in mind the whole reuse-recycle element of the closet!

Beach Wedding
For a beach wedding, it's casual, but you aren't going to don that swimsuit cover-up. It has it's own feel, those parties out in the sand. That's why you want something loose, a little fun and a lot comfortable. I love the idea of the printed maxi dress like this one from Chicos. The zebra print is here to stay and just picture it with a black cardigan or a blazer in the fall with boots at that school picnic.

Brunch/Daytime Wedding
When vows are exchanged in the morning or afternoon, you have a little leeway on what you can wear, but the last thing you want to do is breakout that suit you wear to the office every Thursday. That's why investing in an updated wrap dress like this one from Ann Taylor is perfect. It will come in so handy - you can dress it up for cocktails and dress it down with tights and boots for date night.

Semi-formal
More than cocktails, but not uber-fancypants, "semi-formal" is a tough one. Really, it is all about the accessories. You need to have a fantastic go-to little black dress and bump it up to the semi-formal level with shoes and jewelry. I dig this one over at Nordstrom, as you can wear it for semi-formal events with the right earrings but also use it for that company Christmas party.

Black Tie
As you stare at your closet, thinking of those two little words, well, you realize you have nothing to wear. Avoid this by shopping when you don't need it (yet) and getting a classic black tie dress. Like this one from Bloomingdale's. Totally channeling Audrey Hepburn, it will never go out of style. You can use it over and over again, just change up the belt (think a satin sash with a pop of an "in" color or a metallic shine).

Festive
Oh, I know, when you see "festive" on the invite, you think, "What does that mean?" It means have fun...and I immediately think, "color." This is where you can get into trouble, buying an outfit that is trendy. Avoid that as much as possible and stick with dress in classic cut and a fun color or print that you love now and will love even five years from now. Ann Taylor's crossover maxi is ideal as you can wear it with heels for a festive wedding or with sandals for that picnic later in the summer (I even see it with a fluffy charcoal grey cardigan and ballet flats in October).

Do you have a wedding coming up? What kind of attire did guests wear to your wedding?

©iStockphoto.com/ RuthBlack

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

No weddings here.My guests wore semi formal

mereinhart28
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM

very cute!

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Cute dresses!
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I don't have any weddings this summer, and I rarely buy an outfit just for one occasion like that... I have flexible dresses that fit most wedding scenarios.

Guests wore pretty casual clothing to our wedding as it was a bbq.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

no weddings in the near future, least that i'm aware of.  hubby & i got married at the courthouse & the only guests we had was a friend of ours & our 7 1/2m old daughter.  don't remember what my friend wore but she had made an adorable black & white dress for my daughter with hot pink accents.  we still have the dress tucked away in her memory box.

wandep
by Pam on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM

No weddings here.:)

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

cute, always love a lil black dress.....which is what i wore to the last one

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Very nice dresses! No wedding yet..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I like the second dress. We are not going to any weddings though

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM
thankfully no. my dress was white with black I asked everyone in the party to wear black whatever they wanted
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: